Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-06 06:30:49

ttype

[SOLVED]How to display the correct icon in panel

I'm generally very happy with my fresh install of MXLinux XFCE as works perfectly out of the box on my Asus GL-502VM.

This is nitpicking and trying to understand how do icons work in xfce panels, and why sometimes the icon being "right there" is not picked up by the panel, making me use ALT+Tab more often than looking at the confusing icons of the panel. This is what it looks like:

iconDisplay

I already found the Alt+Tab workaround, I was just wondering if it's possible to display the correct icon for Cudatext instead of that rotated blue square with a gear that is used for generic executables like pico8 which also has a nice icon that I can't figure how to display.

Maybe the XFCE theme is overwriting the app icons and displaying the theme icon for unknown apps?

Last edited by ttype (2024-06-07 03:11:51)

#2 2024-06-06 19:34:39

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]How to display the correct icon in panel

Hello and welcome.

This is a strange problem. I can't even get xseticon to change that icon. Bad news is, that it doesn't work in xfce4-panel 4.18, but is fixed in the 4.19 development branch. In the meantime, have you tried using the xfce4-docklike-plugin instead? It uses a method different than libwnck to get the icon and will probably work.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-06-06 21:06:32

peter.48

Icons in the launchers in the panel and in the menu usually correspond to icons that are named in the files in /usr/share/applications, if in your system icons there is no icon mentioned, system puts generic icon...

#4 2024-06-07 01:28:59

ttype

ToZ wrote:

This is a strange problem. I can't even get xseticon to change that icon. Bad news is, that it doesn't work in xfce4-panel 4.18, but is fixed in the 4.19 development branch. In the meantime, have you tried using the xfce4-docklike-plugin instead? It uses a method different than libwnck to get the icon and will probably work.

Thanks for suggesting that docklike plugin, but it looks like I have to build it? It also doesn't seem to include the whisker menu? Switching to the development branch also an option I'm considering and will report back if it worked.

peter.48 wrote:

Icons in the launchers in the panel and in the menu usually correspond to icons that are named in the files in /usr/share/applications, if in your system icons there is no icon mentioned, system puts generic icon...

You're right, Cudatext doesn't have a .desktop entry on that folder but Brave, which I also installed via flathub, does, so I guess some developers miss adding the icon somewhere? I tried dropping a png file into this folder but it looks like I need to sudo. I will look into how to correctly create these .desktop files.

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was reading through old threads on icons and noticed your posts from almost ten years ago! I used xfce before but I had to switch to lxqt because of an unrelated issue in my Bios that I finally fixed.

#5 2024-06-07 02:41:45

ToZ
Administrator

ttype wrote:

Thanks for suggesting that docklike plugin, but it looks like I have to build it?

It looks like its available in the repository (looking at MX Linux 23.3). What version are you running?

It also doesn't seem to include the whisker menu?

The Whiskermenu is a separate plugin - they can be both installed and added to the panel. The docklike plugin generally is used as an alternative to the indow Buttons plugin.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2024-06-07 03:13:59

ttype

ToZ wrote:

It looks like its available in the repository (looking at MX Linux 23.3). What version are you running?

MX-23.3_x64 and from MX Package Manager I can only see Plank and Cairo dock. I didn't even know there were so many options. I tried Cairo and it worked for both Cudatext and Pico8, so I marked this issue as solved... many thanks!

#7 2024-06-07 10:18:05

vm_x

ttype wrote:

MX Package Manager

MX Package Installer is okay for basic popular software and is beginner friendly, but MX also comes with Synaptic Package Manager which, in my opinion, is superior in every way. Check it out if you're unaware of it.

#8 2024-06-15 07:48:40

ttype

vm_x wrote:
ttype wrote:

MX Package Manager

MX Package Installer is okay for basic popular software and is beginner friendly, but MX also comes with Synaptic Package Manager which, in my opinion, is superior in every way. Check it out if you're unaware of it.

Thanks for the Synaptic Package Manager tip. It lists docklike as already installed. I guess docklike is the default panel from my screenshot above?

#9 2024-06-15 10:44:12

ToZ
Administrator

What does the following return?

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep -E 'tasklist|docklike'

Ans if that is docklike, what version of it are you running? Synaptic will tell you.

Board footer