Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-21 15:29:19

uibits

When closing tab in Mousepad/Thunar, previous tab should regain focus.

When closing tab in Mousepad and Thunar, the previous tab (the tab to the left) should regain focus and be presented to the user. Currently the tab to the right is opened but this is not the right thing to do, because when opening a tab the tab opens to the right. Therefore when closing it should close and move back to the file that was focused on previously.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been picked up earlier. It has been irking me for years.

#2 2024-07-21 17:25:28

eriefisher

Re: When closing tab in Mousepad/Thunar, previous tab should regain focus.

For me currently in Thunar if I have three tabs open and close either the second or third the first tab(on left of pane) come to focus. This seems to be opposite of what your describing.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2024-07-21 17:56:14

uibits

Thanks, yes it is the opposite. Maybe what I'm describing is a Manjaro Xfce issue?

EDIT: Do you have Mousepad? I'd be interested in knowing how that behaves. Thanks again.

Last edited by uibits (2024-07-21 17:58:07)

#4 2024-07-21 21:53:02

eriefisher

With three tabs and closing the last tab, the tab to the immediate left comes to focus.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#5 2024-07-22 21:23:28

uibits

Yes, but what if you close the middle of the three tabs instead?

#6 2024-07-22 22:19:52

eriefisher

With center tab in focus when I close it the right tab comes to focus. If another tab is in focus than the one being closed then it stays in focus.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#7 2024-07-23 17:27:48

uibits

eriefisher wrote:

With center tab in focus when I close it the right tab comes to focus.

Glad its not just me. Thanks for confirming.

It basically means that there is this need to redisplay/refocus on the correct tab (to the left) every time I close a tab, otherwise when I return to mousepad the wrong file will be presented, I'm surprised that no one else is irked by this but knowing how many choices of text editor there are, its possible people are just using other text editors.

Thanks again.

(I'm not on the gitlab so if anyone wants to report this issue formally, I'd appreciate it.)

#8 2024-08-26 14:31:14

uibits

Hello great Xfcans.

Really glad that this 'tab closing' issue was able to be replicated a couple months ago. I look forward to knowing if anyone on the gitlab is also interested in having it fixed once and for all, and whether they have pointed the developers to this post yet.

Given that this has been a problem in Thunar and Mousepad for years, I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on board to have this glaring UI/UX issue fixed, but maybe its issues like this that simply cause people to use other file managers and text editors.

Here's hoping this can be fixed in the near future.

Board footer