Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-09-12 17:58:41

cmcanulty

upgrade login issue

I am in the process of upgrading all of our library computers from Xubuntu 22.04 to 24.04. Most went smoothly but one refuses to go automatically to the desktop. Instead it goes to the login screen. This is an issue as then I can't access it remotely until someone at the library hits login. This is for the non admin account. I have it set as before to auto login in the settings manager-users and also in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
There must be another place I missed. I suspect during the upgrade somewhere I hit y for keeping my settings which should have bee n which is pretty unintuitive. Can someone clue in in to where else I can edit to fix this? It doesn't ask for a password which is crrect but instead of the desktop it goes to a login dialog and someone locally has to hit OK. The only other issue is the upgrade changes the clock font to very small but that is an easy fix.

#2 2024-09-19 01:46:06

him610

Re: upgrade login issue

You might consider checking your /etc/default/grub file. Look for this...

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console 

Make sure the bottom line has not been UNcommented.

Do no harm.

#3 2024-09-19 11:35:41

cmcanulty

Thanks I am going in today and will try that and let you know

#4 2024-09-19 21:21:15

cmcanulty

I tried that and it made no difference, thanks anyway

#5 2024-09-20 11:00:34

eriefisher

If we could see you lightdm.conf it might help.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#6 2024-09-20 13:36:50

cmcanulty

Here it is

[Seat*:]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=darcy
autologin-user-timeout=0

#7 2024-09-20 21:11:02

eriefisher

From the Arch Wiki:

Enabling autologin

Edit the LightDM configuration file and ensure these lines are uncommented and correctly configured:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=username

You must be part of the autologin group to be able to login automatically without entering your password:

# groupadd -r autologin
# gpasswd -a username autologin

LightDM logs in using the session specified in the ~/.dmrc of the user getting logged in automatically. To override this file, specify autologin-session in lightdm.conf:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=username
autologin-session=session

The list of valid session names can be found by listing /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop for X's sessions and /usr/share/wayland-sessions/*.desktop for Wayland's.
Note: GNOME users, and by extension any gnome-keyring user will have to set up a blank password to their keyring for it to be unlocked automatically.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#8 2024-09-20 21:32:55

cmcanulty

OK  I will go to lib tomorrow & try that. I believe the group is called nopasswordlogin not autologin. should I create a new group called autologin?

#9 2024-09-21 22:24:41

cmcanulty

I added the group autologin and added the user to the group. The user was already in the nopasswdlogin group. I had already done the lightdm.conf fix. No change after reboots and hard shut down. Still every boot someone had to click login. So I can't remotely access the unit until someone in library clicks login. Very frustrating. All the other identical laptops do it fine. Any other things to try?
your command "# groupadd -r autologin" didn't work it said r is bad option but I manually added the group and made darcy a member but no change in behavior.
I may have not been clear. It doesn't ask for a password at boot but it requires to click login which doesn't work as that can't be done remotely. So I have to call library and have someone go over and click login every time. Al the other machines with identical specs work fine with no tweaks

Last edited by cmcanulty (2024-09-22 13:12:44)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer