Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-10-08 22:20:29

cyberplunk
LinuxFirefox 131.0

Switching Between Wired and Wireless With Active SSH

I have a laptop running Xubuntu 22.04 that I frequently switch between a wired and wireless connection. Normally, this isn't a problem, but if I have a remote directory mounted via sshfs, then things start to break when I switch the connection. Most notably, Thunar has a tendency to freeze, and I have to forcibly kill all SSH processes to get it working again (or sometimes even restart the machine).

I don't want to have to remember to terminate all SSH sessions every time I switch a connection. Is there a way to either a) maintain the session when switching connections or b) gracefully closing all SSH sessions automatically when the connection is switched?

#2 2024-10-09 02:11:50

ToZ
Administrator
LinuxFirefox 131.0

Re: Switching Between Wired and Wireless With Active SSH

cyberplunk wrote:

I have a remote directory mounted via sshfs

How exactly are you mounting the share? Have you tried the reconnect option?

Or potentially use network bonding?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-10-09 02:20:34

cyberplunk
LinuxFirefox 131.0

My mount command looks like this:

sudo sshfs -o allow_other user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/dir/on/remote /mount/point/on/local

I had done some research on the problem but somehow missed both of those links, so I'll investigate them further. Thanks!

#4 2024-10-18 17:29:42

cyberplunk
LinuxFirefox 131.0

So I've been trying out the following modification to my mount command:

sudo sshfs -o allow_other,reconnect user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/dir/on/remote /mount/point/on/local

Generally, one of two things now happens when I switch between wired and wireless: either a) Thunar works fine, but the mounted drive doesn't show any files, so I have to unmount and re-mount the drive, or b) Thunar still freezes, and I have to kill all active SSH connections and then unmount/remount.

Am I using the reconnect option correctly?

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer