Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2026-09-13 12:11:04

jt1122
Member
Registered: 2021-03-26
Posts: 279
LinuxFirefox 140.0

Process in xfce4-terminal slows when terminal unfocused

Hi,

I'm running an Octave process in an xfce4-terminal. The process takes a long time to complete.
Since it runs for a long period I leave it running in the terminal and switch to another desktop to do other stuff.

At some point the process slows down considerably but when I switch back to the desktop with xfce4-terminal and the latter gets focused the process seems to speed up again. It doesn't happen all the time but I've had a few instances like these.

Does xfce actively reduces resources for the process or is it something else?
Any solutions?.

Thanks

Offline

#2 2026-09-13 16:56:50

CwF
Moderator
Registered: 2018-01-28
Posts: 351
LinuxFirefox 140.0

Re: Process in xfce4-terminal slows when terminal unfocused

I don't think the terminal changes 'nice' level depending on focus. Often many core processors can be lazy and only turbo with higher loads, I have an intentional setup like that.

You could experiment with fg & bg in the terminal, and watch clock while things are happening.

Offline

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modified by Visman

[ Generated in 0.023 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 546.92 KiB (Peak: 554.08 KiB) ]