You are not logged in.
Pages: 1


While customizing my desktop, I've somehow managed to put a static throbber at the right-hand end of Thunar's menu bar. It doesn't appear, animate, or disappear, nor is it interactable. It's just... there.
I'd like to remove it, but I'm not sure where to look between styles, themes and icon sets.
Can anyone offer me some clues to locate it? When does the throbber normally appear? What is the icon called, and where would I find it?
(Huh, can't seem to inline an image. A screenshot is at https://postimg.cc/9w7GqZV7)
Added later 3 h 03 min 08 s:
It's not in /usr/share/plymouth/themes/{charge,spinner}/, ~/.themes/Irixium/gtk-3.0/assets/, or /usr/share/themes/CoolCleanV2/xfwm4/. I can't find it in /usr/share/icons/gnome/ (/usr/share/icons/gnome/*/animations/process-working.png is similar, but different).
I'm at a loss!
Last edited by duxy (2026-09-15 22:04:34)
Offline


That spinner should show up if there is an active search happening in thunar. Not sure why its always there for you though. Perhaps something to do with your theme? If you change the theme, does it disappear?
If you don't want it to show up at all, you can add the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:
.thunar menubar spinner {color:transparent}Mark solved threads as [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find solutions.
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki | Community | Contribute ---
Offline


That spinner should show up if there is an active search happening in thunar. Not sure why its always there for you though. Perhaps something to do with your theme? If you change the theme, does it disappear?
I tried changing theme, icons, and styles, and it persisted.
If you don't want it to show up at all, you can add the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:
.thunar menubar spinner {color:transparent}
And then I'll forget I did this, and panic the next time Thunar looks like it's frozen when it's in fact working. It's minor enough that I'll live with it.
Could it - possibly - have anything to do with the fact that I have several LUKS2 volumes that are usually unmounted? Could Thunar be trying to index them? It doesn't animate when they're mounted though...
Regardless, it's a minor wart on an otherwise excellent desktop. Thanks for replying.
Offline


Could it - possibly - have anything to do with the fact that I have several LUKS2 volumes that are usually unmounted? Could Thunar be trying to index them? It doesn't animate when they're mounted though...
This is an interesting piece of information. There is this bug report, though not specifically for the same problem, but it does mention the throbber consistently running. You might consider creating a new bug report for this issue.
BTW, what version of thunar are you running?
Mark solved threads as [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find solutions.
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki | Community | Contribute ---
Offline


You might consider creating a new bug report for this issue.
I have some maintenance coming up, so I'll yank the drives and see if it reoccurs.
BTW, what version of thunar are you running?
4.20.8
Offline


Now that I'm looking, I'm seeing it on one of my systems as well (4.20.10) - I usually have the menubar disabled. Not sure of the cause because I don't have any other devices connected to it. However, I can make it temporarily transparent but still showing up when there is something to throb about:
.thunar menubar spinner:disabled {color:transparent}
.thunar menubar spinner:checked {color:black}Mark solved threads as [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find solutions.
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki | Community | Contribute ---
Offline


.thunar menubar spinner:disabled {color:transparent} .thunar menubar spinner:checked {color:black}
Yes, this works a treat!
Should I mark this as solved? The underlying issue still exists... and I won't create a bug report since I'm 0.0.2 versions behind. If it's still present when I update to the latest version (I'm on Fedora, so 4.22 I guess), then I'll create a report.
Thank you for your help!
Offline
Pages: 1
[ Generated in 0.016 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 569.8 KiB (Peak: 587.21 KiB) ]