Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2026-09-19 11:41:28

jt1122
Member
Registered: 2021-03-26
Posts: 279
LinuxFirefox 140.0

xfce4-terminal output stalls when unfocused for a while

Hi,

I'm running a process which takes a long time to complete and sends text to standard output.

When I switch to another desktop (so the terminal is unfocused) after a while the output from the process halts although it's still running, i.e. nothing is sent to standard output. When I switch back to the process window it resumes output.

When I run the exact same process via xterm there is no such issue.

Is this some buffering issue or a bug in xfce4-terminal ?.
Any solutions?.


Thanks

Last edited by jt1122 (2026-09-19 12:39:25)

Offline

#2 2026-09-21 01:46:43

ToZ
Administrator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 12,698
LinuxFirefox 156.0

Re: xfce4-terminal output stalls when unfocused for a while

Does your script generate alot of output?

Does the same happen when you unfocus or when you minimize the window?
Does the same happen with another vte terminal like gnome-terminal?

vte has an internal buffer, maybe its filling up pending display in a visible window?


Mark solved threads as [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find solutions.
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Offline

#3 2026-09-21 11:24:53

jt1122
Member
Registered: 2021-03-26
Posts: 279
LinuxFirefox 140.0

Re: xfce4-terminal output stalls when unfocused for a while

ToZ wrote:

Does your script generate alot of output?

Does the same happen when you unfocus or when you minimize the window?
Does the same happen with another vte terminal like gnome-terminal?

vte has an internal buffer, maybe its filling up pending display in a visible window?

Thanks for replying.
The output being generated is >2k lines.

As I mentioned, I haven't had such this issue when running the process from xterm. I'm guessing it's some sort of an internal buffer issue in xfce4-terminal because the moment it gains focus standard output (and file redirection) resumes.

Offline

#4 2026-09-21 19:19:01

ToZ
Administrator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 12,698
LinuxFirefox 156.0

Re: xfce4-terminal output stalls when unfocused for a while

Do you have the same problem with gnome-terminal? It also uses vte.


Mark solved threads as [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find solutions.
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Offline

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modified by Visman

[ Generated in 0.011 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.2 KiB (Peak: 536.18 KiB) ]