Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-24 17:30:40

Clint O

Some icons still missing with new install of 4.3.99.1

I decided to try out the release candidate, having been a regular user for a couple years now, and I'm having some issues getting the last few tidbits working.  Originally almost all my icons were missing and having found that you fixed this up in startxfce4 using $XDG_DATA_DIRS was helpful.

However, even after starting xfce this way, I'm still seeing missing icons on the Xfce Settings Manager.  In fact, only the screensaver icon shows up (I have no idea why).

Some disclaimers:

- I'm using a non-standard prefix for my installation
- I had a previous installation in this area that I have attempted to remove when I've found it
  interfered with the new install.  For those of us who didn't have the luxury of using a FreeBSD
  or Linux package/port, this is actually pretty annoying.
- This is SUSE Linux (yeah, my company is too myopic to keep with Redhat)

If there  is any other info I can provide that might hone in on the problem, please fire away...

#2 2006-10-24 17:46:20

Clint O

Re: Some icons still missing with new install of 4.3.99.1

I forgot to mention that I have been seeing messages to the following in my .vnc logfile:

(xfdesktop:31315): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'xfce4-backdrop'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
        http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(xfdesktop:31315): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `src != NULL' failed

etc. etc.

#3 2006-10-26 07:05:14

Nick
Dev
Website

First, you need to install the hicolor-icon-theme from your distro, this will solve most of the icon problems. The pixbuf warnings are also related to this: unsave handling of not loaded icons (well they should be loaded in a perfect world).

#4 2006-10-30 21:28:23

Clint O

Thanks, that was exactly it.  I was confused because nothing in the build instructions I saw mentioned this hicolor theme stuff and its requirement to get things up and running.

Board footer