Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-23 14:51:14

f0rk

Version and Transparency Confusion

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this, I'm a long-time Linux user and I'm just starting out with Xfce, from what I've used of it so far, I really, really like it.  ;D

However, I need a bit of assistance and clarification.

I have installed Xubuntu 6.10, and I chose that distribution because it ships with Xfce 4.4 (which is the version I wanted). However, after installation, when I click on "About XFCE" from the Applications menu, it says the version I'm running is actually 4.3.90.2. That was a bit confusing to me.

Also, when I open the Window Manager Tweaks window, I don't have the option to enable transparency  yikes. I was under the impression from the tour on the Xfce website that this is where I ought to go to enable that.

I'm still rather new to Xfce (I'm a former fluxbox user).

So, I guess my questions are, what's the deal with the two different version numbers? And also, how do I enable the transparency? As I said I looked in the Window Manager tweaks and saw nothing in there for that. Do I need to install some plugins, or is it just a matter of my having mistakenly not enabled something?

Any help you guys could lend me is much appreciated.

#2 2007-03-23 14:54:04

f0rk

Re: Version and Transparency Confusion

Ah, I found a thread that explains it:

The version of XFCE built into Xubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) does not have the compositor supported compiled in.

That's okay though, the version of XFCE included with Edgy is already old (RC1), download the installer for RC2 from the XFCE site, run it with "sudo" and turn on the "compositor" and "extensive optimizations" checkboxes in the installer.  Once it's done and you have the new version of XFCE (RC2) installed on Edgy you can just put the lines in your xorg.conf file enabling the compositor and it will work.  I'm using it right now.  Best of all, it seems to have fixed the old mplayer bug I reported earlier.

Board footer