Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-27 14:42:00

Scotti

Eye candy = awful refresh rate

I'm just curious if anyone else has a CRT monitor and has tried out the composite features in Xfce. I tried them out last night. It worked great but it really seemed to affect my monitor's refresh rate. Staring at my monitor for a bout ten minuets really got painful. Xrandr wasn't any help either. I just turned off the effects and it seemed to be fine then. Is there anything I can do about this, or save up and get an LCD?

Thanks.

#2 2007-03-27 20:28:08

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Eye candy = awful refresh rate

CRT or LCD shouldn't matter. Duno which video card you have but check if hardware acceleration is enabled. Also make sure xfwm4 is compiled with Render support (Xrandr is something different) and you have xdamage.

#3 2007-03-28 06:07:39

Scotti

I guess I should have given more info. I have a BFG 6600 GT OC, Nvidia. I have the Nvidia drivers installed for 3D games and the like. Is this the same thing as "hardware acceleration"? How do I check if it's enabled? I installed Xfce from my distro package manager, Debian's apt-get. Is there a way I can chek if Render is supported? What is xdamage?

As stated before, when I made the changes to my xorg config and enabled the composite features, everything worked fine. It's just my eyes seemed to get irritated from it. Who knows, I stare at a computer screen all day at work, maybe my eyes were just sore. I'll try it again.

#4 2007-03-28 06:57:37

Nick
Dev
Website

Add the line below in your xorg.conf in the nvidia device dection (with driver "nvidia").

Option "RenderAccel" "true"

You can check the Render support with Xfwm4 -V, that should give you a list with enabled/disabled
stuff in xfwm4. Xdamage is a smart update of the screen (only render the 'damaged' screen section),
but afaik xfmw4 need this for composite support.

Board footer