Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-02 16:12:41

bigbearomaha
Website

Xfce has it's place and it's an important one I think

I just joined this forum because I have been watching the development of Xfce with interest and with the latest releases, it is showing vast usability and improvement.

I think one of the greatest things about Linux is the opportunity to find tools that work for specific situations.  This is where I think Xfce fills in so well.

We are using a implementation of Xfce in a PCLinuxOS Business Edition project we are working on and as I am on the server disc aspect, one of our goals is to create a way to implement common servers and networking tools on one disc using a GUI environment.

We have two versions so far of the server disc, a KDE base and an Xfce base, both are made to resemble each other as much as possible.

I find the Xfce base much quicker and more responsive.  That is ideal in a server environment. 

For a local volunteer project called FBK Omaha, I am remastering PCLOS with an Xfce base for a lot of the older hardware that is donated to local schools.  This allows the machines to be used in a modern setting and extends the life of these machines for a much longer time.

I like the work the Xfce team is doing here and how much it helps to make Linux more of a presence and a valuable resource.

Great work folks.  If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.
Working toward making the computer everyone's resource, not just the ones who can afford it.

http://groups.google.com/group/freedom- … roup?hl=en

#2 2007-06-02 16:29:07

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Xfce has it's place and it's an important one I think

Well you can start typing XFCE as Xfce, that's a good start ;D.

#3 2007-06-02 16:34:52

bigbearomaha
Website

so much for what  I know.  I didn't realize there was a right way to use the capitals.  Does it imply an acronym?  just curious.

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.
Working toward making the computer everyone's resource, not just the ones who can afford it.

#4 2007-06-02 17:53:16

Nick
Dev
Website

It did, XForms Common Environment, but since Xfce doesn't use the XForms toolkit anymore (GTK+ nowadays) , the name changed to Xfce.

#5 2007-06-02 18:04:14

bigbearomaha
Website

;D   yikes

Way cool.

Love learning new stuff.  Thank you.   

Big Bear

Freedom By Knowledge.

Board footer