Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-26 23:13:15

Xeno the Blind

Suppressing "recently used".

Hi,

I want to prevent xfce from keeping track of my recently used documents etc. I've tried the following without any lasting success:

chmod 400 .recently-used.xbel
rm .recently-used.xbel
touch .recently-used.xbel
chmod 400 .recently-used.xbel
rm .recently-used.xbel
ln -s /dev/null .recently-used.xbel
sudo rm .recently-used.xbel
sudo touch .recently-used.xbel
sudo chmod 444 .recently-used.xbel

(This one surprised me... it should NOT be able to override root like this.)

I'm using Arch Linux x86_64 with everything up-to-date. The solutions that I've found on Google (chmod|rm->touch->chmod|rm->ln -s) are not persistent from session to session and sometimes not even within a session. The only ideas that I have left are to hack the source (which I'm very reluctant to try and which would be overkill), run a daemon to clear the file when it's written to (again, overkill), or to add commands to .bash_login and .bash_logout to clear it on login and logout, respectively (not a solution for current sessions).

Why has so much effort been put into ensuring that .recently-used.xbel is always writable? Shouldn't this be a natural option?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT:
I just found this and it seems to work (although various Xfce apps spit out warnings).

rm .recently-used.xbel
mkdir .recently-used.xbel

Please tell me that there is a more elegant solution than this. I use Xfce because it's lightweight and simple and it lets me avoid the bloated clutter of other DEs. Creating clutter to force settings like this just doesn't seem to fit with the Xfce philosophy.

#2 2008-07-30 18:09:31

herd
Website

Re: Suppressing "recently used".

I didn't locate it in the code but I would guess that xfce will honor the GtkSettings objects "gtk-recent-file-limit" property, which
defaullts to 50 and is available since gtk 2.12.

You could place a value of zero into a .gtkrc file, e.g. the theme that you are using, and keep your fingers crossed.
I don't know how to edit gtkrc files yet so, I can't confirm this.

hth,

herd

Board footer