Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-07 23:58:46

huzzam

Trouble with graphical 4.6 install on Ubuntu

Hi--

I'm eager to try XFCE 4.6 in Ubuntu (Intrepid), so I've been trying to run the graphical installer. Unfortunately I can't get past one of the dependencies: gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.

In synaptic, I see that I already have gstreamer0.10-plugins-base, which seems likely to be what the installer wants, but the different name makes in not recognized.

Can anyone tell me how to convince the installer that i have the right gstreamer-plugins already?

Aside: I've had to do a lot of guesswork to figure out what packages are actually needed, since what the graphical installer lists as a dependency isn't actually the one missing/needed. For example, I had to figure out to install all the corresponding "-dev" packages on my own; "gtk-doc" is actually "gtk-doc-tools", and in fact most of the titles are different from what is needed. More clarity & precise package titles would be very useful.

Even better would be an offer to automatically run synaptic/apt-get & just mark-for-install the dependencies for you!

Thanks everyone
peter in oakland ca

[edit-- removed gtk-doc stumbling block, as i figured it out]

#2 2009-03-10 18:27:45

herd
Website

Re: Trouble with graphical 4.6 install on Ubuntu

Might be too late but try this one:
http://jeromeg.blog.free.fr/index.php?p … buntu-8.10

hth,

herd

#3 2009-03-10 23:14:33

huzzam

Re: Trouble with graphical 4.6 install on Ubuntu

Thanks, I ended up figuring it out (it was yet another missing "-dev" package), installing, having quite a few problems (mostly seeming like conflicts with the parallel xfce 4.4 install), and reverting to backup. I guess I'm not interested enough in the bleeding edge; I'll wait for xfce 4.6.1 and/or Xubuntu 9.04...

Thanks for your help.
peter

Board footer