Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-19 13:48:35

patschi

Scrolling without bringing window to top

Hello,

how can I scroll (with the mouse wheel) boxes without bringing their parent windows to top. Or in other words: Scrolling that element, that is under the mouse pointer, but not changing the layers of windows.
In KDE this is possible and very practically.

thanks and regards
Sebastian

#2 2009-06-19 17:25:42

Snood

Re: Scrolling without bringing window to top

I'm a fairly new user to xfce, having installed it as my DE on three Debian Lenny systems. On all of these systems I can move the mouse cursor off of the application that has focus and scroll a window element in any underlying application merely by placing the cursor over the element I wish to scroll and moving the scroll wheel. I agree that it's a very nice way for the environment to work. I'm not sure just what might make it stop working -- whether it would be an xfce window manager issue or maybe an X issue.

So -- I'm sorry to say I don't know how to help. I'll watch your thread to see if anyone comes along to make us smarter.

;D

#3 2009-06-19 19:41:17

Wapush

patschi wrote:

Hello,

how can I scroll (with the mouse wheel) boxes without bringing their parent windows to top. Or in other words: Scrolling that element, that is under the mouse pointer, but not changing the layers of windows.
In KDE this is possible and very practically.

thanks and regards
Sebastian

Hi

Perhaps because "Focus follows mouse" and "Automatically raise windows when they receive focus" are enabled in the window manager settings, in the focus tab?

#4 2009-06-20 07:05:04

patschi

Wapush wrote:

Hi

Perhaps because "Focus follows mouse" and "Automatically raise windows when they receive focus" are enabled in the window manager settings, in the focus tab?

The (semi)solution is disabling the last option "Hervorheben bei Klick in das Programmfenster" in this tab. I don't know what's the english text for it, because my xfce is in german. It means, that the window comes to top by a mouse click on it.  But now no window comes to top. I have to click on the title to do this. The problem is, that using the wheel is also a mouse click. I think, that normal clicks and the wheel should be treated differently in the options.

#5 2010-09-29 12:39:14

awshidahak

I found the trick: In Window Manager Tweaks (a different panel than Window Manager) on the Accessibility tab there is a checkbox called Raise windows when any mouse button is pressed.  Uncheck that and then you can scroll wheel in your windows without raising them.  Clicking in the window to raise it will still work.

#6 2015-11-21 20:27:36

alfonso.nishikawa

awshidahak wrote:

I found the trick: In Window Manager Tweaks (a different panel than Window Manager) on the Accessibility tab there is a checkbox called Raise windows when any mouse button is pressed.  Uncheck that and then you can scroll wheel in your windows without raising them.  Clicking in the window to raise it will still work.

I can't avoid say thank you!

#7 2023-03-02 01:15:06

machinegunmessiah

awshidahak wrote:

Kind regards!

Board footer