Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-23 09:27:43

Lou

Xmodmap and Xfce4.6

Hello

I'm trying to run a script to set my ~/.xmodmap when I start Xserver. I choose to run it via Xsession.d, but I'm having trouble to make it run. The manpage (man Xsession) tells me every script in there will be sourced if it's filename complies with run-parts.

So I used 'run-parts --list' and tried 'run-parts --test' to check my filename and it seems fine. Nevertheless the script is not sourced if I start up with gdm or startx from terminal.

The script is fairly simple: checks for ~/.xmodmap in $HOME, if file exists xmodmap shall parse it:

~$ cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40custom_load-xmodmap

#!/bin/bash
USRMODMAP="$HOME/.Xmodmap"

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
           if [ -f "$USRMODMAP" ]; then
               xmodmap "$USRMODMAP"
           fi
       fi

OS is Debian/Lenny 5.01 with xfce4. Any help appreciated, thanks!

#2 2009-06-23 09:33:44

El_Angelo

Re: Xmodmap and Xfce4.6

xmodmap is something annoying.
It seems like if you set the layout with the keyboard dialog in the xfce-setting-manager, xmodmap gets ignored.

#3 2009-06-23 11:03:51

Lou

Hello El_Angelo

with xfce4 I can't set the layout in the keyboard properties - try it yourself:

xfce-setting-show keyboard

Unless you use Xubuntu the keyboard layout menu does not show up in there. So I guess I'm down to use Xkb/Xorg or xmodmap. With xmodmap I can change the keymap and switch off Caps_Lock at the same time, so I prefer xmodmap.

For the moment I will use .config/xcfe4/autostart to run xmodmap until I figure out what the problem is with Xsession.d. I guess Xsession.d is the right place to run xmodmap. You find examples for xmodmap in the Xsession manpage, but they are not run at startup.

#4 2009-06-23 11:14:52

herd
Website

It might be too simple: perhaps $PATH and $HOME are not set during the sourcing.
Try fully qualified paths.

hth,

herd

#5 2009-06-23 11:39:44

El_Angelo

Lou wrote:

Hello El_Angelo

with xfce4 I can't set the layout in the keyboard properties - try it yourself:

xfce-setting-show keyboard

Unless you use Xubuntu the keyboard layout menu does not show up in there.

That is not correct. When you compile xfce4-settings manager with libxklavier installed it will show a configuration dialog for keyboard layout settings. (trust me... i'm not using xubuntu wink )
see: http://www.xfce.org/about/tour#keyboard

#6 2009-07-08 08:11:48

Undundet

You do not say which version you are running.

On the sign-in page where you put in your username and password there will be an icon where you can choose Session Type - Gnome, KDE, Xfce etc. Choose Xfce there. Unless you change it again it will open in the Session that you last used.

#7 2009-07-08 19:45:30

Lou

4.4.2 - and yes: after I chose xfce as new default session the script finally got sourced by Xsession :-)

Don't know why I was able to use xfce with another default session setting than "xfce"

Board footer