Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-15 05:25:45

guy_c

menu disappeared after installing Hebrew

Hello,

I tried to install Hebrew (so as to be able to search in Hebrew) with synaptic by getting user-he. It asked for .25GB (!) and I accepted (reluctantly). Then, I entered hebrew-settings at the console and logged out.

Once I logged in again, no more menu at the left nor buttons at the bottom; only desktop with few icons (recycle bean etc) However, programs I asked to execute at start up (NetworkManager and Transmission) was running.

Can somebody please help me recovering the menu?

Thanks in advance

Guy

#2 2009-07-15 05:36:54

s0ulslack

Re: menu disappeared after installing Hebrew

sounds like either xfce4-panel and/or xfdesktop died, open a terminal and check... if you don't see "xfce4-panel" or "xfdesktop" listed, restart them and save your Session on logout smile

#3 2009-07-15 05:48:48

guy_c

If it were not my current language I'd say that your post is Hebrew for me smile Where should  see xfce4-panel or xfdesktop listed? If I don't; how do I restart them? How do I save my session before logging out? OK don't feel guilty if you think I'm too dumb.

#4 2009-07-15 07:51:11

s0ulslack

hah thats what we're here for smile  Open a Terminal and run "ps ax" and poke over the list, you should have both xfce4-panel and xfdesktop listed with a bunch of other crap.  If you do find that one isn't running, press ALT+F2 and enter the command, either "xfce4-panel" or "xfdesktop"

to save your Session make sure that under Settings-> Session and Startup-> Logout Settings that Prompt on Logout or Save Automagically is ticked, set things how you want and log off smile

#5 2009-07-15 10:44:03

guy_c

Darling, revise your title; you are a Super Hero! xfce-panel was not running I ran it and all was fixed.

I saw that in accessories I have the new item KKBSwitch, once launched I see at the bottom a language applet.

I configured the shortcuts so now it switches easily from US English to 2 <unnamed> which would be acceptable if when in <unnamed> I could write in Hebrew but no, it writes in English in both keyboard layouts

The helper says -not surprisingly- "could not launch KDE help center"

Any idea? I mean as I payed .25GB of precious disk space (got 20G) I'd expect in return to be able to write in Hebrew smile

#6 2009-07-15 11:04:05

s0ulslack

Theres a panel plugin for switching layouts too, xfce4-xkb-plugin iirc... check the goodies site (http://goodies.xfce.org)
Also, if you have libxklavier installed you should have a Layout tab in Settings-> Keyboard that does similar, I believe

Board footer