Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-24 08:32:46

ConfusedCapybara

My panel launcher won't work no matter what I do

I'm using ubuntu 8.10 on a laptop and gnome seemed slow so I've been trying out xfce and I really like it, for me it's noticeably faster, but I've got a couple problems (which I'll address one by one as my patience runs out with them).  I don't want to do a re-install with Xubuntu right now for personal reasons.

Firstly:

I've got a launcher on the panel for OmegaT, a java app if you aren't familiar with it, but the launcher is really a simple bash script for launching it.

The problem is that the panel launcher doesn't work.
(I also have a bash launcher for mercury messenger that doesn't work.)

The script is installed in /usr/local/bin and it works fine from the command line from anywhere.
I'm using jre1.6.0_14 installed manually, downloaded from Sun's site. "java -version" in the terminal works.

I've gotten as far as getting an error message that says 'java command not found'.
And I can also get a small error window with a red octagon and no text
and "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal"
It doesn't work with gnome either.

It seems like I need to tell something where to find java...
I've updated my /etc/alternatives by hand because update-alternatives wasn't working for me.

what else...?

I've already tried tons of different things, I can't remember everything.    Some things I've tried are:

'run in terminal' and not run in terminal
Exporting $PATH in the script and in the .bashrc and .profile file
Putting the java -jar command directly into the launcher instead of the bash command
Adding %f %F and some other things to the bash command in the launcher

#2 2009-07-26 15:43:33

ConfusedCapybara

Re: My panel launcher won't work no matter what I do

solved

After rebooting my launchers work,

I don't know why.

Board footer