Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-01 23:13:48

Hamsterkill

Power manager and xscreensaver

Hey,

I'm noticing that having a screensaver running causes xfce-power-manager to not do its thing. The display stays on as long as the screensaver is on, even if its just a blank screen. I could just use the power manager and ditch xscreensaver, except that I can't lock my laptop's screen without xscreensaver. Am I missing something?

On a separate issue that I haven't had a chance to investigate much yet, when I try to shut down, the shutdown process seems to go thorugh and complete, except when it should turn the power off, it just freezes up.

Any ideas?

#2 2010-04-02 00:55:04

s0ulslack

Re: Power manager and xscreensaver

Not sure about the first question, don't use either.  On the second though are you sure your in all the correct groups for power management?  Check http://wiki.xfce.org/faq?s[]=xfsm#session_manager  - it explains both methods, the older way via xfsm-helper and sudo or the newer method, with hal

#3 2010-04-02 01:22:16

Hamsterkill

Yeah, I set it up with hal. It's not that I can't press the button in the logout window, it's that it seems to freeze when trying to turn the power off. I get the same effect whether I use the logout window button or type "sudo halt" into a terminal.

I'm not even sure it's Xfce's fault -- like I said I haven't got a chance to really look into that issue yet. It's a pretty difficult issue to analyze too, since it gets to the point of power off, all the logs say terminations were done fine.  :-|

#4 2010-04-06 00:58:54

Hamsterkill

So the shutdown thing looks to be an fglrx issue. Vesa driver allows shutdown fine and fglrx will cause a shutdown hang just from having had an X server running without Xfce.

Still don't know what to do about the power manager + xscreensaver thing, though.

Board footer