Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-06 09:32:27

ench0

will this be fixed (any time soon?)

Every search for "edit xfce menu" indicates that one needs to run xfce4-menueditor. Yet this app is missing from my xfce installation?? Is there a SIMPLE way to add/remove items to the XFCE menu?

My XFCE version is 4.6.1 (Xfce 4.6)
Distro : Slackware 13.0

... same problem also happens in Fedora release 13 (Goddard)...

#2 2010-10-06 12:30:34

ench0

Re: will this be fixed (any time soon?)

...ok after a lot of diggin around I found this: http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu, which is a 2-page walkthrough on how to add a new category/icon to your XFCE menu???

Come on. There was a nice little app which WORKED FINE and which allowed one to EASILY add an icon to the menu and now its gone? What exactly was the problem with it that it had to be removed?? And now we're stuck with a 2-page instruction manual on how to add an icon to a startup menu? Something that in windows can be done with simple drag and drop...

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes most people scoff when they hear "Linux". Total disregard for user experience. No matter how great the intent behind this whole new standard freedesktop menu thing is, the result, as of today is, that user experience suffers and that's enough not to add such changes to a stable version.

#3 2010-10-06 13:31:36

etnlWings

Kind of an odd soap box for a slackware/fedora user to be mounting, not that I disagree.

Of course, the plan is to have alecarte be the menu editor for both Gnome and Xfce (not that Gnome is likely to have much use for alecarte soon) and, in fact, they got Alecarte and xfce4menu files to cooperate in GIT a while back. Hopefully alecarte has improved since the days when it continued creating additional override files on top of old ones, reaching the point where your gnome menubar would take 2 minutes to load, due to it having to parse and re-parse again, your menu.

#4 2011-01-27 09:08:07

Nick
Dev
Website

Since 4.8, alacarte is fully supported by garcon and there is an edit-menu button in the panel's menu dialog. Note that the $XDG_MENU_PREFIX variable needs to be exported, commonly set to "xfce-".

#5 2011-01-28 01:26:28

picilli

Xfce soon to be GNOME based.

#6 2011-01-28 14:41:00

Nick
Dev
Website

If you apply a small patch to alacarte, it can be used without any big gnome dependencies. In the alacarte directory, before running configure, run the following line:

sed -e 's/gnome-desktop-item-edit/exo-desktop-item-edit/g' -i Alacarte/MainWindow.py

It will then use the exo editor, and only depends on gnome-menus.

Board footer