Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-31 00:35:56

Eschatokyrios

how do I run an arbitrary shell script on startup?

I've been pouring over the documentation, and I can't seem to find an answer to this question (I'm running xfce 4.6.2)

What I ultimately want to do is run xmodmap on my custom rules every time xfce starts. I understand that there's some bugginess with xfce and xmodmap, which makes putting a simple xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap line in .xinitrc problematic. I can throw together a short shell script like #!/bin/sh xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap or #!/bin/sh sleep 10; xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap or whatever ends up being necessary to force xmodmap to run after whatever xfce does with the keyboard, but I can't figure out how to make that script itself execute on  startup. Putting an entry to run a script in the Application Autostart screen doesn't do anything, and I've tried it with other shell scripts that I know work without any success either. In fact I'm not really sure *why* the application autostart screen works for certain little utility programs but won't load my bash scripts.

#2 2010-11-03 00:20:56

Brinson

Re: how do I run an arbitrary shell script on startup?

Create a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart

Folder might not exist by default. If not, create it.

The file can be named any as long as the extension is .desktop.

It should look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Script
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/local/share/script.sh
Icon=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Hidden=false
GenericName=
GenericName[en_US]=

Where I bolded is the path to your script.

#3 2010-11-11 12:16:01

jeromeg
Website

Hello,

Just a few notes:
- the encoding line is deprecated, just remove it
- lines with nothing after the "=" can be removed, like "Icon=", "GenericName=" and "GenericName="

Cheers,

Jérôme

#4 2010-11-19 15:23:06

etnlWings

Should also mention that you can auto-generate the autostart file by going into Settings>Session and Startup>Application Autostart and clicking, "Add".

Board footer