Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-02 16:39:02

flan_suse

Strange mouse cursor behaviour in Xfce 4.8

I noticed that no matter what I set my mouse cursor theme to in Xfce 4.8, it may not be applied when I login to an xfce4 session. Instead, my cursor appears to look like the Default theme, even though under Settings > Mouse > Theme, it shows I have something else selected. I also noticed that it will show my desired cursor theme when I am inside a Qt application, such as VLC or Vidalia.

Here's an example:

1) I go to Settings > Mouse > Theme, and change it to redglass.
2) I have a redglass cursor theme while in the current session. All is well right now.
3) I log out of my session.
4) I log back in, only to see that my cursor looks like the Default theme.
5) I check under Settings > Mouse > Theme, and verify that redglass is still selected.
6) If I open up a Qt application, I see the redglass cursor.
7) If I move my cursor outside of the Qt application, it appears as the Default cursor.
8) At this point, even if I change or re-apply the cursor theme, it does not fix the issue.

Some version information:
Arch Linux
xfconf 4.8.0-1
xfdesktop 4.8.1-1
xfwm4 4.8.1-1
xfce4-session 4.8.0-1
xfce4-settings 4.8.1-1
xfce4-panel 4.8.1-1

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-02-02 17:08:02)

#2 2011-02-05 08:14:37

strider

Re: Strange mouse cursor behaviour in Xfce 4.8

Flan_suse,

an archer with a suse logo (interesting :-).

I'm also on Arch (x86_64) and running xfce 4.8.1 and reading your post I was wondering If I had the same problem. I have the comix cursor theme installed which comes in different colors. I decided to change a different color (from white to blue). And indeed within Qt applications (such as opera which I'm using to type this) I see my cursor in blue. In firefox it reverts to my old white cursors (but not to the default theme). However when I go into xfce-settings window and I hoover over an item to cursor changes from a pointer to a hand (same symbol as for an url link) and there it is in blue again.

Did you already enter a bug ?

#3 2011-02-05 17:55:34

flan_suse

Re: Strange mouse cursor behaviour in Xfce 4.8

strider wrote:

Flan_suse,

an archer with a suse logo (interesting :-).

[...]

Did you already enter a bug ?

Arch is too addicting. I installed it on my laptop in a dual-boot (with other distros), just to "mess around with it," but now I've come to use it the majority of the time on this machine. The rolling-release train ride keeps you on your feet, as proven in this very thread! wink

It seems there was an earlier feature request about the mouse cursor theme behaviour before Xfce 4.8 went final. Apparently xfwm4 needs to be replaced in order to fully update the newly select cursor theme. Try it out yourself, it works for me:

1) Select a different cursor theme
2) ALT + F2 (or Run Program)
3) xfwm4 --replace

Since there is already a report about this, I'm not sure if I should start an entirely new report on the bugzilla. Developers?

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-02-05 19:30:12)

Board footer