Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-27 00:17:43

dcbdbis

[Partially Solved] Trash and Colors

Good Afternoon Community,

I support several workstations as a consultant. My customers are currently using GNome 2.3*... At issue is the up and coming Gnome 3. It breaks the paradigm of a typical desktop user. I have been trying various DM's in a VM environment as replacement candidates.

Right now I see two weaknesses with XFCE that prevent me from deploying it when GNome 3 hits the various distribution updates:

a)    A lack of a Trash Can, be that in the menu's or on the desktop.
b)    A lack of color support. There are many themes available, but no easy way for an end user to modify, for example, the color of a window background.

An end user is not going to want to get involved with modifying gtkrc's. They are going to want a GUI where they can pick a color and go on. Even lxde, a really immature DM (IMHO) has this feature (but it also has no trash).

This post is in case I'm missing something obvious. Between lxde and xfce, I'd prefer to replace Gnome with XFCE.

So I have two questions:

Is there a GUI color picker so that installed themes can be tweaked by an end user?

XFCE used to have a trash can if my memory serves me correctly. What's up with the trash can (or lack thereof)?

Tested Version: 4.8.1

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2011-03-27 04:22:39)

#2 2011-03-27 01:30:38

SantaFe

Re: [Partially Solved] Trash and Colors

It's still around.  I'm running Xfce 4.8 & I get the Trash Can by right clicking the panel, then click on Panel & Add New Items.  In my case it shows up in the Add New Items menu:
68618747.png 

You can see it in the panel above. 

As for the color thing, don't know about how to do that.

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

#3 2011-03-27 01:36:18

dcbdbis

Thank you the reply. When I do the same...The trash applet has a red asterisck on it, and gives me an error when I click on it.

??

Again, thank you for the reply....

Dave.

<Edit>: Doing a fresh install to a new VM in case I missed a step somewhere............BTW: Using Arch Linux (on my system, I do not deploy it. I deploy Mint)

Last edited by dcbdbis (2011-03-27 01:47:05)

#4 2011-03-27 02:26:28

dcbdbis

On the fresh new install, I have a trash can.

I'll put money on the fact that I may have overlooked gvfs on the last install...............

There are a lof of nice themes with XFCE.....But no easy way to choose a theme and tweak it.

In looking at the gtkrc for the various themes...there are a lot of entries.

Now......An easy way for an end user working in the average office to tweak the colors of their theme>?

Surely there is a tool ou tthere for the acerage user to tweak their colors......

Please advise.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

#5 2011-03-27 04:22:16

dcbdbis

I'm going to mark this as partially solved. The trash can was an omission on my part. I failed to install gvfs.

But after a lot of web crawling, there is no GUI color picker for tweaking themes. This is really a shame. XFCE appears to be a great D.E. But for me, a rollout will cause me a lot of headaches and a lot of support issues when folks want to tweak their desktop beyond the pre-canned themes.

Thanks for all who replied,

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Dave...

PS: My $0.02....the ability to tweak colors would be a valuable tool, and it's basic functionality that comes with most DE's.
Now that XFCE is going to get a lot more looks since Gnome3 is going off of the deep end. I'm not a GTK dev, but if I was in the XFCE community as one, I'd view this as an opportunity to gain some market penetration.

Board footer