Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-02 21:10:48

akb825

[Solved] Removable doesn't show up in Thunar once mounted

When I plug in a USB flash drive or instert a CD, it will be properly recognized and show up both on the desktop and in Thunar. However, as soon as I mount it through Thunar, it will disappear and throw an error saying "Operation was cancelled." Despite that error, the volume is mounted just fine and is accessable through /media, but the icon doesn't show up on Thunar or on the desktop, and I need to manually eject it when I'm done.

I am running XFCE 4.8 on Arch linux. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2011-04-03 07:04:31

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: [Solved] Removable doesn't show up in Thunar once mounted

Search then ask...

#3 2011-04-03 07:36:49

akb825

Thanks for the reply. I did see that wiki page earlier when trying to figure out the problem, and that file is in fact there, with the correct contents. When XFCE wasn't started correctly with consolekit and dbus, it would give me a permission denied error and fail to mount. Once I got it started correctly with consolekit, it would mount correctly, but Thunar would give the operation canceled error. I've tried several combinations of ck-launch-session and dbus-launch, following both the wiki and a couple of threads on Arch's forums, and I only ever got the results of either failing to mount or succeeding to mount and disappearing from Thunar. I've spent hours searching on the internet, but I've run out of things to try. I also asked on Arch's forums, but haven't gotten any hints yet from there.

#4 2011-04-03 23:06:29

akb825

After doing some more searching, I did some investigation with gvfs. Using "gvfs-mount -l" displays the available removable media. However, as soon as a removable disk is mounted, it disappears from that list. I will look further into this, and when (hopefully not "if") I fix it I'll post it in case anybody else has the same issues.

#5 2011-04-04 05:30:32

akb825

I solved my problem, and it turned out to be a stupid mistake on my part.

When I was still using Debian, I mounted everything under /media, and had some paths (such as my music library) assume that path. When I installed Arch, I noticed that /mnt was the standard place to mount things. I figured that it would be simpler if I just made /media a symbolic link to /mnt, so all disks would be visible from both. Everything would mount correctly, but apparently gvfs didn't like it. I have now removed the symbolic link and everything works correctly.

Board footer