Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-02 17:14:49

alveraan

Thank you xfce!

Just had to stop by and say a big THANKS for the great work to everyone involved with xfce!

As a longtime gnome2 user (first in mandrake then gentoo, now arch linux), I found myself bewildered by the changes in gnome3. Somehow, everyone seems to want to more or less imitate some of the awful aspects of mac os, heck, even in windows 7 that's the case. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty open to useful change, but for me what's going on at the moment is just change for the sake of change...

So, in my search for alternatives, I looked at unity (same problems as gnome shell), kde4 (never really liked the feel of kde, even though it's a fine desktop environment), enlightenment (still too "alpha"), the various "boxes" (too simplistic) and xfce4. It's been a while since I last tested xfce and I have to say it has managed to become as good as - and sometimes even better than - gnome2.

So Xfce really is the saviour for many of us (and I believe there are quite a lot) stranded gnome2 users who appreciate a well thought out, matured, fast and intiutive desktop environment that's still in active development.

Thanks again big_smile

EDIT: spelling.

Last edited by alveraan (2011-06-01 05:40:05)

#2 2011-05-16 03:25:08

mikodo

Re: Thank you xfce!

Hello Xfce devs:

I want reiterate what alveraan has eloquently stated.

I am much in the same situation, and am so happy now that I have migrated to Xfce.

Thanks +++

smile

#3 2011-05-28 18:37:52

Unshra

As a Mac user I do not see the similarity between gnome3 and OSX DE, however much like the original poster I have switched over to Xfce4 from gnome and would like to exchange my thanks to the developers.

It is nice to once again have freedom with my DE, thank you.

#4 2011-05-29 20:31:28

Leon

Great DE, thank you!

#5 2011-05-31 22:35:56

desktorp

I hope it is safe for this to be a catch-all-thanks thread, for I also wish to initiate myself to the fold, with my sincerest thanks.  XFCE has managed to somehow act as both a wave of the future and a blast from the past.  I like it very much.

#6 2011-07-09 22:45:36

nullspace

Hi, just wanted to add a "Me Too" to everything the first poster said, except that I moved from Ubuntu to Xubuntu.

Thanks a lot for XFCE, it was a very pleasant surprise for me when I installed Xubuntu. There will always be a demand for a sane WM/DE and I hope XFCE will continue delivering.

Also just wanted to mention that out of everything else I tried, XFCE is the only one that hasn't crashed on me yet.

#7 2011-08-30 12:00:22

pounce

I've been using Linux since the late 90's, Windowmaker on my personal machines and Gnome for others.  I've used xfce for vnc servers etc since its lightweight and doesn't waste bandwidth & time, but until Gnome 3 came out I didn't have a significant reason to actively switch to it.  I didn't mind Gnome so much since it mostly was consistent and stupid and stayed out of the way- but Gnome 3 is so complicated intrusive bizarre and annoying there is no way.

I'd like to offer a big THANK YOU to the xfce team for making such a nice & simple window manager.  I think I most appreciate how easily its configured and tweaked- gnome has always sorely lacked documentation and config support (and now seems to lack it entirely- I mean the for-real config not just fiddling with trivial aspects of the interface)- xfce's configuration space is so much easier to manage- frankly easier than my all-time fav Windowmaker.

Now, if you could just get risotto to reliably auto-refresh when images come and go and are perhaps momentarily corrupt, xfce will be perfect!

Last edited by pounce (2011-08-30 12:06:39)

#8 2011-09-06 09:36:41

stratoka

I lik to say thank you XFCE. I switched from gnome, gnome 3 looks like an Iphone menu tongue

I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Board footer