Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-04 13:37:45

Ailurus

Open new tab in browser from terminal

Hi,

I'm trying to open a new tab in my browser (Chromium) from the terminal. Since I couldn't figure out how to open a new tab in an existing Chromium session (either by clicking on the chromium icon or typing chromium in the terminal) instead of opening a new session, I thought it could be done from the terminal.
When you middle-click on an URL somewhere in the manpages, it opens this URL in a new tab. How can I mimic this behaviour?

By the way, when I start Chromium from the terminal when there already is another instance running, it displays

Created new window in existing browser session.

I don't know the use of this message, since a new chromium session is started anyway...?

#2 2011-06-06 11:00:44

Ailurus

Re: Open new tab in browser from terminal

I tried some other things, like xdg-run <url>. This works, but I'd like to open a new tab like chrome://newtab. It is not possible to use this as URL, because it isn't recognized as such.
Temporary solution is to call Chromium with chromium about:blank. This takes care of the multiple instances issue, but isn't very beautiful. If anybody has an idea how to call the newtab URL instead of this blank page, please let me know.

#3 2011-06-07 21:12:09

jeromeg
Website

You would have more luck on a Chromium related forum, this has nothing to do with Xfce.

#4 2011-06-07 23:04:24

Ailurus

Well the thing is, multiple instances of the same application were created even though the application itself noted that this should not be the case (bit vague on that part). So my connection to xfce was the window manager, xfwm. That's the reason I posted this smile. Meanwhile, I found the noted temporary solution, so perhaps others may benefit from it.

Board footer