Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-23 21:26:44

kelmark2180

[Solved] Panel settings link does not work after update

This is the second time I have lost - Top Menu and bottom - running applications are gone. The panel settings link does nothing when clicked, so a reconfigure of that setting is not possible.  I do like xfce (I think this is 4.4?) but, in the past I have had to deal with right clicks to get to applications. Previous to this I just reinstalled Xbuntu to get my menus to re appear. The only thing I can narrow this down to is that I did a normal update the other day. I have no idea what was updated in that point and click operation. Maybe the only way to keep my menus is to NEVER update ANYTHING?

Is there any way to launch the Panel from the command line?

Thanks for any help, Don

#2 2011-06-24 02:33:36

arinlares

Re: [Solved] Panel settings link does not work after update

I know there was a panel settings bug that was just fixed, it might take a while to get to Xubuntu, but it's in the 4.8.5 release, as well as a corresponding fix to gtk 2.4.5, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  I may be wrong about your issue, though.

You can open it by running xfce4-panel, I think, or xfce-panel.  I'm not sure how Xubuntu packages it.

Last edited by arinlares (2011-06-24 02:33:53)

#3 2011-06-24 13:08:27

kelmark2180

Re: [Solved] Panel settings link does not work after update

Command is xfce4-panel for this version. I did that and saw some mixer-errors, reinstalled mixer plug-in - did not work, but menus there!
I uninstalled/removed mixer-plugin, entered xfce4-panel in terminal and the menus came back again while terminal was up.
I Guess xfce4-panel is what has to keep running and I added that command to the xfce4 start up list.
Note: I saw some Python stuff removed on mixer uninstall so, I suppose some update to Python was my original source to loosing top and bottom menu. BTW - Hope I have sound, I could care less about a mixer.

All is back to normal - poke-n-hope works (Poke it in - hope it works)

Thanks for the help and solution guide,
Don

Board footer