Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-26 10:30:03

nouvo09

Panel applet for xscreensaver

Hi,

Running xfce on Fedora 15.

On precedent releases, with old gnome, there was a panel applet allowing to lock the screen and the session immediately.

Apparently this was the same screensaver as the one on xfce 4.8.

This ability doesn't exist more on xfce. If one wants to lock his screen for whatever reason, he must click on apps, screensaver, and then lock the screen immediatly.

It should be nice to add a panel-applet to do that. ;-)

#2 2011-06-26 14:51:12

cwickert
Website

Re: Panel applet for xscreensaver

nouvo09 wrote:

On precedent releases, with old gnome, there was a panel applet allowing to lock the screen and the session immediately.

I doubt that. By default Xfce in Fedora uses xscreensaver while GNOME uses gnome-screensaver. If you are using gnome-screensaver in Xfce you will not have timed screen saving/locking because gnomescreen relies on gnome-session for that.

This ability doesn't exist more on xfce. If one wants to lock his screen for whatever reason, he must click on apps, screensaver, and then lock the screen immediatly.

Erm, where are you clicking? There shouldn't be a menu entry for screensavers, only in the 'Preferences' menu.

There is the "Actions" plugin of xfce4-panel. It can lock the screen with a single click given that the xscreensaver is already running. The problem is that xscreensaver will not autostart if it finds gnome-screensaver installed.

Regards,
Christoph

Xfce maintainer for Fedora.

#3 2011-06-27 16:40:18

nouvo09

cwickert wrote:
nouvo09 wrote:

I doubt that. By default Xfce in Fedora uses xscreensaver while GNOME uses gnome-screensaver. If you are using gnome-screensaver in Xfce you will not have timed screen saving/locking because gnomescreen relies on gnome-session for that.

Ok got it, sorry

cwickert wrote:
nouvo09 wrote:

Erm, where are you clicking? There shouldn't be a menu entry for screensavers, only in the 'Preferences' menu.

I found it in the "gestionnaire de paramètres" menu  maybe "setup" or "Preferences"? and there is the screensaver icon. when I click on it, I enter screensaver setup and there, in the "file" menu is the "lock the screen immediately" choice.

cwickert wrote:
nouvo09 wrote:

There is the "Actions" plugin of xfce4-panel. It can lock the screen with a single click given that the xscreensaver is already running. The problem is that xscreensaver will not autostart if it finds gnome-screensaver installed.

Sorry, but in the "actions" plugin, I see only "shutdown", "reboot", disconnect "close session", and "sleep". No "lock screen" as in the xscreensaver file menu.

Last edited by nouvo09 (2011-06-27 18:40:31)

#4 2011-06-27 16:56:01

nouvo09

Ok finally I made a script:

/usr/bin/xscreensaver-command  -lock

and then made a launcher for it and it is now on my panel.

Thx anyway.

#5 2011-06-27 17:27:06

cwickert
Website

That's one way to do it. But you should have way more options in the 'Actions'-plugin. I have: Log off dialog, Log off, Lock screen, Shutdown, Restart, Standby and Hibernate. What version if xfce4-panel are you using?

Xfce maintainer for Fedora.

#6 2011-06-27 18:45:19

nouvo09

Hi again,

I use the 4.8 xfce release, packaged and shipped with Fedora 15.

And I confirm that, previously I used to run Fedora 12 with xcreensaver 5.12.7  and not the gnome one, and that there was a panel-applet included.
But in effect I can't say who made it.

Thx

Board footer