Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-16 21:40:08

Sideburns
Website

[Solved] Flash drives don't show up on my desktop

I have both a desktop and a laptop, using Fedora 14 and XFCE 4.8.  On the desktop only I've recently stopped getting a desktop shortcut to any flash drive I mount.  I have to go in through Thunar to look at it or dismount it.  All works fine on the laptop.  It's not serious but it is inconvenient.  Does anybody know what needs to be tweaked to get this working right again?

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#2 2011-07-18 14:56:58

Ailurus

Re: [Solved] Flash drives don't show up on my desktop

Could you look at the value for the show-removable property in xfce4-desktop --> desktop-icons --> file-icons? You can use the Settings Editor (xfce4-settings-editor).

#3 2011-07-18 16:17:33

Sideburns
Website

Checking, there's no property there named show-removable.  I'll create it, set it to TRUE and report back.

Edit: Aha!  This editor doesn't let you create new keys.

Last edited by Sideburns (2011-07-18 16:18:38)

#4 2011-07-18 18:12:51

Markk

Hi,
I'm a newer user just joining.

I have a similar issue. Truecrypt drives and other things in the /media directory used to appear on my desktop (I think ...).
(4.8 Xubuntu latest) Now they don't and instead I get icons for all the other non-removable partitions on my disk,
like the Windows rescue partition and such if I turn on that flag.

USB drives work as advertised, but I have all these non-removable partitions stuck on my desktop when the show removable partitions is on.
For other things mounted in /media such as specifically for me, truecrypt "drives", i.e. files mounted by truecrypt as directories show up fine
under /media but don't get shown in Thunar sidebar or desktop. This is regardless of whether the show removable media tag is true or false.

I have a shortcut in my Thunar sidebar for /media so I don't really miss it, but I could swear that used to work for truecrypt stuff.
I use truecrypt on file containers a lot for confidential information. I believe tc uses FUSE but I am not sure on that.

Mark K

#5 2011-09-17 11:01:25

graysky

Perhaps a udev rule can reveal something freshly created in /media somehow?  Seems like there has to be way to make thunar truecrypt aware...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=126647

#6 2011-09-18 21:10:07

Sideburns
Website

When I first posted, I thought I was using 4.8, but I was wrong.  Fedora 14 only supplies 4.6.  Since then, I've used a third-party repo to upgrade to 4.8 and it's working.

Board footer