Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-18 14:18:49

AG

DVD/CD icon not appearing on desktop

When I insert a DVD/CD, I am expecting to see an icon appear on the desktop which will allow me to browse the disk.  Unfortunately, this isn't happening.  If it is an audio CD, then the desired app will launch, but I can still find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

I have followed the directions given at http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/ … media.html and have all the relevant options selected, but still nada.

When all else fails, the website ( http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/ … media.html ) suggests contacting the forum, so is there anyone here who can help please?

For the record, this is Xfce4.6.2 running on Debian stable.

Cheers

#2 2011-08-20 12:57:07

AG

Re: DVD/CD icon not appearing on desktop

So no-one here knows what to do about this? 

This is the forum within which to seek help for Xfce related matters, no?  So, if there's no help here, where do I get help for issues pertaining to Xfce?

Anyone ... anyone at all ... a suggestion, a tweak ... ?

#3 2011-08-20 15:59:03

jeromeg
Website

Hi,

You need thunar-volman installed. Also make sure "Removable devices" are checked in the last tab of the desktop preferences.

For this kind of issue, which highly depend on the distribution you are running, I advise you to try to get help on the forums of your distribution where people know the underlying system.

Cheers,

Jérôme

#4 2011-08-21 11:15:07

AG

Thanks Jérôme ... unfortunately thunar-volman is already installed.

So the advice is to ask the Debian folk about why Xfce4 is not doing something every other WM/DE seems to handle without problem?

Hmmm ... with respect Jérôme, this wasn't very helpful and seems more like a case of passing the buck: why do the developers/ users of this WM not know how to make something work and instead recommend asking the distro devs/ users?

#5 2011-08-21 13:13:52

jeromeg
Website

Because all distributions don' thave the same underlying technologies to mount devices... Xfce uses an abstraction layer to be able to deal with most of those technologies but if it does not work you have to fix the underlying stuff (fix HAL/polkit permissions, install I don't know what service, etc).

Distro people are the ones who know that, feel free to ignore this advice big_smile

#6 2011-08-21 13:56:17

AG

That makes more sense Jérôme, thanks.

I guess that there are no other Debian users here who are knowledgeable about this kind of thing?  OK, well off to the Debian list then.  Thanks anyway.

Board footer