Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-20 02:44:48

daggoth

[Solved] A Simplified Right-Click Desktop Menu

When I right-click on the default xfce desktop, I get a standard menu with options like "Create Launcher" and "Desktop Settings". And the Applications Menu is a submenu of that. But when I look at the right-click desktop-menu of Crunchbang Xfce (4.6), for example, those unwanted options are gone, leaving just the Applications menu that I want.

http://imgur.com/VkPqn
http://imgur.com/WnNxw

I'm dabbling with Mint now, but I still haven't figured out how to do it. I looked at Crunchbang's ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu (here) and desktop settings (here and here). There is a trick to it, and I have read around, but I cannot see.

Help please anyone?

#2 2011-08-20 15:55:05

jeromeg
Website

Re: [Solved] A Simplified Right-Click Desktop Menu

You'll get this simpler right click menu if you disable desktop icons by setting "Icon type" to "None" in the last tab of the desktop preferences.

#3 2011-08-20 23:27:46

daggoth

jeromeg wrote:

You'll get this simpler right click menu if you disable desktop icons by setting "Icon type" to "None" in the last tab of the desktop preferences.

It is that simple. Thank you. And I spotted elsewhere that the setting it can be done from the cli too. Thusly,...

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -v --create -p /desktop-icons/style -t int -s 0

#4 2011-09-02 21:47:03

ChrisMoller

Not to beat this to death, but is there a way to get the "simpler" menu--the one with "Open Terminal Here" in the middle of it--without having the screen cluttered with all those folder icons?  I open terminals about a thousand times a day, but never need to do whatever is supposed to happen when you click the folder icons.  (Which, as I just discovered, seems to be nothing at all.  Doesn't seem all that useful...)

Board footer