Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-24 01:03:22

Z_Tagr

How to edit the xfce4 menu...

Hi, folks!

Being fairly new to xfce4 (and Linux as a whole), I am quickly getting comfortable with xfce4. But I have a small problem!

I have xfce4 running on Slackware 13.37, and I am very familiar with the items found within the xfrce4 menu (the little "rodent" icon in the panel, yeah?). Well, I JUST installed xfce4 on my CentOS 5.6 system, from .rpm packages. I found out how to add it as an optional dtm in gdm, and away I went!

My problem is, I do NOT KNOW how to MODIFY the contents of the menu. And, the reason I would like to do this is because on the Slackware version, on of the entries is for setting up removeable drives and media (that is, which app. to run automatically when an audio CD is inserted, or when a DVD disk is inserted...; you know what I mean? It is MISSING from the menu on the CentOS version! So is the xscreensaver menu item, etc. They just are NOT THERE! Actually, the two versions of the menu differ QUITE A BIT!

I am not really even sure of the NAME of the app. that is used to handle this process! Is it an xfce "module" or plugin? Or is it part of the Slackware disto.? I know that there is a similiar app. in Gnome on CentOS, but I don't know the name of it!

Either way, my main point is, I don't even know how to modify the menu contents (ie. put in new menu items, remove items, etc.

On Gnome, if you "right-click" on the menu in the panel (at the top of the gui screen) you are in the menui editting system!

So, give a guy a helping hand, someone? Is is a file I need to edit? If so, what is it called / where is it located in the tree?

Also, if anyones knows the name of the app. that is used to set default actions when media is inserted into a drive, that would also be helpful!

I am hoping that I can just take the "menu config" file, or whatever it is, and COPY it verbatim to my CentOS system! Or, modify it to suit, whatever...

One day, I hope I'LL be the one giving out the help to the noobs! I know I have learned a ton in my short time on Linux!

Thanks in advance!

Andre. (Z_Tagr)

#2 2011-08-24 07:34:50

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: How to edit the xfce4 menu...

In Xfce 4.8 you can use alacarte for most of this, also look in the Xfce wiki, there is an article about this.

#3 2011-08-30 00:17:28

Jristz

I sugest try lxmed (lxmenueditor, use java) for those task is mor easi, but requiere gksu and edit al from a gksu
and "compile" the lxmed
http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/

the alacarte tecnicaly is a dead proyect

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#4 2011-09-03 14:40:44

jasn

I've tried LX Menu Editor but my results have been inconsistent. In some cases I actually had better luck in just editing the .desktop files. I'm going to give alacarte a try and see if it works any better. Obviously the best solution would be an Xfce specific menu editor. Does anyone know if there's any plans for such a tool?

Thanks..

#5 2011-12-15 19:56:24

jimwg

Seasons Greetings!

I second the motion for a Xfce specific menu editor, particularly for non-CLI non-techie newbies like my home school staff and myself who are moving out of Panther and Tiger Macs into Linux's more advanced world. Hopefully adding apps and even folders to the xfce menu will be as easy as Gnome's feature and the Mac's Dock. I like xkce and one day hope to learn how to peel out all the "unnecessary" KDE and Gnome files I loaded up to experiment in Linux with so I have a lean strictly Xfce to model our other donated machines after!

JimWG

Board footer