Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-10 13:02:04

billynick

hi, can a newbie ask some questions?

hi
im just fed up with gnome-shell and unity so i was thinking of giving xfce a try so i have some questions if possible

1 - i get the feeling it isnt very actively developed, its not dying is it? what are the future plans?
2 - im a big fan of compiz, but i understand it cant be used with the xfce window manager, and emerald seems dead...what can i do? i know the xfce wm has some effects on its own but its not enough for me..are there other wms? i love kwin as well but...not fond of kde
3 -  if no compiz, how can i have windows opening in fixed predefined positions? i hate for example pidgin chat windows opening in a random place on the desktop
thanks in advance smile

#2 2011-10-10 17:49:03

Pindakoe

Re: hi, can a newbie ask some questions?

1. Development on Xfce is far from dead, but Xfce is not as much in the spotlight as the big two (Gnome & KDE). The time between different major versions is indeed a lot longer then the 6 month interval that Gnome for instance strives to -- Xfce releases say once every 1.5 years. Personally I don't think this is an issue -- Xfce has had sufficient functionality for quite some time and this gradual developments not having to absorb major interface rethinks like Gnome 3 or KDE 4.

2. Xfwm (Xfce's WM) has some composting effects, but all quite modest compared to Compiz et al. I also have read that Xfce is quite tolerant to using other WMs but have no personal experience. My concern (more gutfeel than experience) is that the other WMs that can work with Compiz will pull in all sort of dependancies which may not be what you want.

3. Have read good experiences with Devil's pie which seems to allow for lots of customisation where your windows go.

#3 2011-10-10 18:03:52

billynick

thanks for the reply, very helpful!

if anyone knows anything more about xfwm+compiz or some other way to use compiz in xfce without emerald let me know smile
not that i dont want to use emerald but it just seems dead and not included in ubuntu 11.10 or the latest fedora from what i can gather

#4 2011-10-10 19:47:49

rijnsma

billynick wrote:

1 - i get the feeling it isnt very actively developed, its not dying is it? what are the future plans?

And there was an answer, but I'm a little worried about 'Secure Boot' of Microsoft.

#5 2011-10-10 23:54:57

Sideburns
Website

I moved to XFCE from Gnome earlier this year.  The first time I logged in, it picked up that I was using Compiz and used it.  In fact, I'm a tad surprised that you didn't find it doing the same thing.  Try launching Compiz and see what happens.  If it works OK, it's trivial to make the change permanent.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#6 2011-10-24 14:44:36

israel

emerald is dead... but you can get it from a ppa.... if you are using Oneric instead of natty you will have to manually insert the ppa in your software sources....

https://launchpad.net/~malteworld/+archive/compiz

I have tried compiz in xfce, because well... the cube is really entertaining....

also you might

sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

that way you can easily switch from xfwm4 to compiz and use gtk-window manager or emerald (if you install it...)

#7 2011-10-25 13:14:15

wkr

Compiz works well under Xfce. To launch compiz, open a terminal and write :

compiz --replace &

If you want to return to xfwm :

xfwm4 --replace &

#8 2011-10-25 15:23:28

IcyEyeG

wkr wrote:

Compiz works well under Xfce. To launch compiz, open a terminal and write :

compiz --replace &

If you want to return to xfwm :

xfwm4 --replace &

Is it possible to use xfwm4 window borders with compiz?

#9 2011-10-25 15:40:49

wkr

IcyEyeG wrote:

Is it possible to use xfwm4 window borders with compiz?

I have tried to do so, but without success

#10 2011-11-13 15:35:30

edwardp

rijnsma wrote:

billynick wrote:

And there was an answer, but I'm a little worried about 'Secure Boot' of Microsoft.

Shouldn't be a problem:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a … oblem.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/31 … cure_boot/

Last edited by edwardp (2011-11-13 15:36:32)

Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) XFCE

#11 2011-11-13 15:46:01

rijnsma

Great, Edwardp, sigh of relieve, but only:

'If It Is Implemented Properly'

So:

Time Will Tell

theregister:

"Unfortunately, the current implementation recommended for secure boot makes installation of Linux more difficult and may prevent users from modifying their own systems. So, we recommend that secure boot implementations are designed around the hardware owner having full control of the security restrictions." ®

And the question raised everywhere: why would they with 90% MS marketshare?

Last edited by rijnsma (2011-11-13 15:53:42)

Board footer