Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-21 19:38:32

NightSky

Key Board Settings Xfce 4.6.2

Xfce4.6.2 & Slackware Current, Using Logictech  S530 UsB Combo for mac: slackware  lists the proper keyboard during boot. All keys are functioning except some of the media keys.

Alt + F2 was working, then stopped along with panel disappearing, freezing, shutdown stopped working. Suspected KDE so I removed  it. Reinstalled xfce & removed menu icons. Panel, shutdown are working as they should but no Alt+F2 or any shortcuts i try to create.
First time setting up key board shortcuts, tried following faq keyboard, but have some basic questions.  Need to go in a step by step manner to trace any issue.  Have used xev to map keyboard keys.  Xfce Helper is On, Session Save is On.

Questions may seem obvious to the technically savvy builders of Xfce but not the average person.  Appreciate all your work on Xfce and Thank you.   Also I appreciate any help I can get on these questions so I can better follow the FAQ instructions at: http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#keyboard

Question 1. Does setting keyboard  from 'Settings' -> 'Xfce  Settings Manager'  the same as 'Settings' -> 'Keyboard'  produce the same behavior?

Question 2. 'Keyboard Layout' Options:
A.  'Use System Defaults' does this mean automatically alt+F2 will work and I can add custom keyboard shortcuts and or key binding events?
B. If i choose the Keyboard Name or PC 104  US, do I still have the defaults ie. alt+F2 and can change them and add custom key bindings?

Question 3.  Do the window Managers have an effect on the Default Keyboard Shortcuts and what window managers behave according to Xfce xfwm  expectations?

Question 4. "Appearance Settings"  obviously this is set for 'Xfce' but you have different Xfce ver. options 4.0 - 4.4  how does this affect keyboard shortcuts being available or not?

Board footer