Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-23 18:03:45

crazy bird
Website

Questions about XFCE

Hi,

I'm trying to get familiar with Xubuntu since I'm not into that Unity look. In a virtualbox environment I'm busy with experimenting with Xubuntu 11.10 with Xfce 4.8. Since there are a numerous differences between Gnome and Xfce i have some questions:

1) How can i add a theme? I have downloaded an icon theme which I'm using in Ubuntu 10.04.3 right now and i like this theme very much. It is called: ICON-DroplineNeu. It is a tarball (.tar.bz2).

2) Where can i find Appearance? In Ubuntu is can be found here: System > Preferences > Appearances. Or don't Xfce have such tool?

3) I know i can use Ubuntu PPA under Xubuntu, but when i enter this in a terminal: sudo apt-add-repository ppa: gdm2setup/gdm2setup i get an error message saying: Error: need a repository as argument. Why is that and how to solve this?

4) Is it possible to lock an item on the taskbar at the top of the screen just like Ubuntu when i add an item?

This is it for now. I'm still experimenting with Xfce and Xubuntu. Love the desktop environment, it looks clean and easy to use.

Thanks for any respond/help/tips/hints!

#2 2011-10-23 20:11:31

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Questions about XFCE

crazy bird wrote:

1) How can i add a theme? I have downloaded an icon theme which I'm using in Ubuntu 10.04.3 right now and i like this theme very much. It is called: ICON-DroplineNeu. It is a tarball (.tar.bz2).

Unzip and untar the archive:

bunzip2 Neu-0.6-PR3.tar.bz2
tar xvf Neu-0.6-PR3.tar

...then move it to your ~/.icons folder (create it if it doesn't exist) for your use or /usr/share/icons for all user's use

mkdir ~/.icons
mv Neu ~/.icons

OR for all users:

sudo mv Neu /usr/share/icons

...then go to "Settings Manager -> Appearance -> Icons" and select it.

2) Where can i find Appearance? In Ubuntu is can be found here: System > Preferences > Appearances. Or don't Xfce have such tool?

Settings Manager -> Appearance

3) I know i can use Ubuntu PPA under Xubuntu, but when i enter this in a terminal: sudo apt-add-repository ppa: gdm2setup/gdm2setup i get an error message saying: Error: need a repository as argument. Why is that and how to solve this?

No space between "ppa:" and "gdm2setup/gdm2setup"

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gdm2setup/gdm2setup

4) Is it possible to lock an item on the taskbar at the top of the screen just like Ubuntu when i add an item?

If you are referring to locking the position, then I do not believe it's possible. You can however, creatively use the separator item (both normal and expanding) to get it positioned in the proper location.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2011-10-23 20:20:04

crazy bird
Website

Re: Questions about XFCE

Thanks for your reply! This is helpful to me!

Board footer