Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-06-02 11:25:52

Enverex

Re: Dual monitor: panel is always on the left one

This doesn't seem to work (at least not anymore). Doing "xfconf-query -v -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-1/output-name -s VGA1" results in the error that output-name "doesn't exist in channel". Doing a -l to get a list of options shows lots of options for panel-1, but output-name is not one of them.

Has this been removed or superseded since? How are you supposed to do this now?

#27 2016-06-02 12:40:27

ToZ
Administrator

With both monitors enabled, go to the panel preferences and you should get an "Output" option on the Display tab. Select the appropriate output and the xfconf key will be created. I believe the internal monitor names changed in 4.12.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#28 2016-08-05 07:39:28

cen

Setting the output to the desired monitor does indeed work, kinda. The problem is if you move the monitor to the left or to the right the labels are reassigned and it screws up everything. Primary monitor becomes #2 if you move secondary monitor to the left.

What is really missing is an option to choose Primary monitor from the dropdown. That would fix everything.

Last edited by cen (2016-08-05 07:43:06)

#29 2016-08-08 20:34:29

wnasich

Same here, using Xfce 4.12 on xubuntu 16.04.4

#30 2017-05-04 13:24:00

deleted6

I still have this issue on xfce 4.12 on mint x64 18.1...
I have been spamming the bug trackers on ubuntu and xfce as well (I'm not sure what the appropriate place is...)

#31 2017-05-04 14:21:00

ToZ
Administrator

I have been spamming the bug trackers on ubuntu and xfce as well

With respect to this bug report, please note that the patch has been applied to the git tree only and is not available in the 4.12 code (which you are running). If you want to test this fix, you'll need to build xfce4-panel from source.

*Keep in mind that the current xfce4-panel git code is different from the 4.12 code in that it has been migrated to GTK3 and is for testing purposes only. That being said, it appears pretty stable (but I haven't tested all of the functionality).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#32 2017-05-05 11:27:10

deleted6

ToZ wrote:

I have been spamming the bug trackers on ubuntu and xfce as well

With respect to this bug report, please note that the patch has been applied to the git tree only and is not available in the 4.12 code (which you are running). If you want to test this fix, you'll need to build xfce4-panel from source.

*Keep in mind that the current xfce4-panel git code is different from the 4.12 code in that it has been migrated to GTK3 and is for testing purposes only. That being said, it appears pretty stable (but I haven't tested all of the functionality).

I did not realize this indeed. Thanks for pointing it out. To avoid confusion, I referred to your post on the xfce bugtracker.

Last edited by deleted6 (2017-05-05 11:27:59)

#33 2017-10-19 07:55:06

13dagger

framethrower wrote:

Good morning.

It took me far to long to find a solution that works on my laptop and that's why i wanted to share my tiny Move xfce4-panel to external monitor script.

Maybe it'll save you some time and frustration.

---

The script is executed on startup and i currently execute it again manually if the external monitor is connected/disconnected.

Depending on your setup and layout (left of / right of) the xrandr lines below are probably not needed!

The important part that actually moves the xfce4-panel to the external monitor and/or back to the internal are the lines that begin with xfconf-query.

Notes:

• My internal laptop monitor is named LVDS-0 (1280x800)

• My external monitor is named VGA-0 (1920x1080)

• My external monitor is on the right!

• You need to replace all the display names, resolutions and positions with values fitting your system!

• To get the names of your connected displays execute this in a terminal:

xrandr --query

Here's the script: (~/setup-displays.sh)

#!/bin/bash

# Check if our external monitor name is in the list connected displays
grep_output=`xrandr | grep VGA-0`

if [ "$grep_output" != "" ]; then
    # The external monitor IS connected. Put it right of there internal and move xfce-panel there

# Set up the displays
    xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1920x1080 --preferred --primary --pos 1280x0 --output LVDS-0 --mode 1280x800 --pos 0x0

# And move the panel to the external display
    xfconf-query -v -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-0/output-name -s VGA-0
else
    # The external monitor IS NOT connected.
    # Update monitor settings and move xfce-panel to internal monitor.
    # This becomes necessary if the external display was connected before and is now gone this will re-setup everything for single monitor use.

# Set up the display
    xrandr --verbose --output LVDS-0 --mode 1280x800 --pos 0x0

# And move the panel to the internal display
    xfconf-query -v -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-0/output-name -s LVDS-0
fi
exit

Well, hope that helps you a little to tame this annoying shortcoming.

Best regards!
Matthias

http://framethrower.de

I found out that sometimes this solution needs changes. I have XFCE 4.12 for Manjaro and changed your script to

#!/bin/bash

# Check if our external monitor name is in the list connected displays
grep_output=`xrandr | grep "HDMI1 connected"`

if [ "$grep_output" != "" ]; then
    # The external monitor IS connected. Put it right of there internal and move xfce-panel there

# Set up the displays
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --preferred --primary --pos 1920x0 --output eDP1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0

# And move the panel to the external display
    xfconf-query -v -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-0/output-name -s monitor-1
    xfconf-query -v -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-1/output-name -s monitor-1
else
    # The external monitor IS NOT connected.
    # Update monitor settings and move xfce-panel to internal monitor.
    # This becomes necessary if the external display was connected before and is now gone this will re-setup everything for single monitor use.

# Set up the display
    xrandr --verbose --output eDP1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0

# And move the panel to the internal display
    xfconf-query -v -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-0/output-name -s monitor-0
    xfconf-query -v -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-1/output-name -s monitor-0
fi
exit

Note:
1. grep "HDMI1 connected" - because it just shows "HDMI1 disconnected" when second monitor is out.
2. xfconf-query sets monitor to "monitor-1" instead of HDMI1. To figure out for your system, change manually thru panel settings and run

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-0/output-name

Wish this will help someone.

#34 2017-12-05 16:44:18

SjaakRake

I have the same problem. In my case my secondary display is above my main. What I have found out is that this bug only seems to be triggered when setting the position at once, but not when changing it gradually. So at the moment my solutions consists of a chain of xrandr commands, starting out positioning the screen in the top right corner, and over a series of steps changing it to be right above my main screen. I have to keep a 1 pixel offset on the x-axis at all times though.

#35 2018-03-31 02:06:59

sleeping

Ii looks like the problem also applies to the desktop background. Also, the windows also move to the leftmost display when it is connected.

The script works like a charm for the panel though!

Edit: also applies to

-desktop icons
-where new windows are opened

Last edited by sleeping (2018-03-31 04:11:46)

#36 2021-06-26 13:26:07

Leonard_Linux

Hello together,

I post this here for everyone struggling with this problem nowadays. In this thread someone anaylised the issue very well and provided a workaround.

Basically it's just configuring the panel, so it's always on the laptop screen and typing the following command after you reconnect to the screen:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto  --right-of VGA1 --output VGA1 --auto

(assuming your second monitor is VGA1 and your laptop monitor is LVDS1)

I configured an alias so I don't have to type this pretty long command every time by entering the following command:

echo "xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto  --right-of VGA1 --output VGA1 --auto" >> ~/.bashrc

Best regards
Leonard_Linux

Last edited by Leonard_Linux (2021-06-26 13:29:54)

#37 2023-04-01 07:47:50

hajonnes

I found this thred by googling, a lot of people seems to have trouble with the panel so I thought I would share what I did.

I could edit the settings in application>settings>display.
I made the monitor I wanted primary with the slider (I do not think this is nessesary but it is what I did).
to the right of the slider for primary display is an icon: an black filled circle with a white 'i' in it.
click the icon and you will get more settings:

select "Xfce Panel       Configure..."

Unlock the panel and drag it by the end to where you want it.
You can also select to which output you want it. e.g. I use it on displayport 0 so I choose DP-0.
then you can make more settings to your liking: e.g. do you want it vertiacl or horizontal and so on.
when your are content select  "Lock panel" to lock it in place.

#38 2023-10-03 14:01:44

Chandigar-IT

I found that whenever the laptop or extra monitor went to sleep, or shut down, whatever settings I had made were forgotten, and I had to make the changes all over again.

So once I had the setup as I wanted, I went to Settings, Display, Advanced, created a profile to save them; then under "Connecting Displays" I checked "Automatically enable profiles ..."

So far it seems to have worked.

Board footer