Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-14 23:08:59

John_Jason_Jordan

[Solved] XFCE disappeared

So I spent the better part of yesterday and today tweaking XFCE, leaving Gnome installed on my Fedora 14 x86_64 laptop. Finally, I decided to log out and back in again. But now when the login screen came up only Gnome appears as a login option.

So then I used Yum Extender to reinstall all the components of XFCE (searching on "xfce"), but I still don't get an XFCE login option.

What happened to XFCE? How can I get it back?

Linguistics on Linux!

#2 2011-11-15 01:22:24

angstrom

Re: [Solved] XFCE disappeared

It sounds like something is missing during packages installation. You will have better luck asking on Fedora forum as it is distro specific.
For Opensuse, to have the choice of Xfce at login screen, I have to install xfce-utils-4.8 which provides, among other files, the file : /usr/share/xsessions/xfce.desktop that is read by kdm4 (my login manager)

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-11-15 02:32:04

John_Jason_Jordan

Re: [Solved] XFCE disappeared

angstrom wrote:

It sounds like something is missing during packages installation. You will have better luck asking on Fedora forum as it is distro specific.
For Opensuse, to have the choice of Xfce at login screen, I have to install xfce-utils-4.8 which provides, among other files, the file : /usr/share/xsessions/xfce.desktop that is read by kdm4 (my login manager)

Thanks for the information. It turns out that you were correct. While watching for a response here I asked on a local Linux listserv. A kind fellow pointed out that there should be a .desktop file for XFCE in /usr/share/xsession. I looked and there was no such file. He also gave me a suggestion for what to put in the file, ending in "exec=startxfce4." I looked, and there was no starxfce4 file anywhere in my filesystem.

So then I fired up Yumex and searched on "xfce." It turns out there is a package "xfce-utils" and it was not installed. After installing it the start script was in /etc/bin and the desktop file was back where it belonged. I logged out and back in, chose XFCE from the menu, and here I am, back in XFCE-land.

The question remains, what happened? Files don't just disappear on their own, especially files in folders that require root access.

Linguistics on Linux!

Board footer