Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-26 13:11:07

radu.pop

xfce 4.6.2 - adding items to panel

Hello,

I was wondering if is there a way to "manually" add an item to the panel.
I'll explain myself: I have the mixer item added to the panel. I'm having some issues with sound failing to work some times after I wake the computer up from hibernate. I managed to make it work by killing all opened files that were using my sound module (including /dev/mixer which upon killing it removes the mixer icon from the panel too). Then I reload the sound module and the sound comes to life, but I have to manually re-add the mixer module to the panel.
I noticed the existence of ~/.../panel.xml which keeps track the items, so I thought I could manually parse and interact with that file to add the entries I need, but I wonder if is there an official way to add items to the panel through a command which I can call from within a script that I would like to run upon the system comes back from hibernate.

Well, thanks in anticipation for any thoughts.

#2 2011-12-05 21:02:53

NightSky

Re: xfce 4.6.2 - adding items to panel

What Operating System are you using? Did you forget to run
#alsactl store after setting up your snd card and settings during #alsaconf step?

#3 2011-12-05 21:10:31

radu.pop

Hi, thanks for the answer. I'm running a slackware 13.37 box.
Do you think that running `alsactl store` would have anything to do with loading/unloading of the sound module before and after hibernate? I can't remember if I ran it in the past, but have just run it and see if anything significant changes during hibernate and thaw sessions.

#4 2011-12-05 21:21:07

NightSky

Running alsaconf is part of basic audio setup... identifies your sound card and corresponding module.  alsactl store will save those settings trough a soft restart or reboot.  If your settings aren't save it would make sense u lose them everytime you system turns on/off.

Board footer