Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-05 10:24:56

farinet

[Solved] 3rd level with Powerbook G4 keyboard - how?

Recently - for speed reasons essentially - i changed from Gnome to Xfce (Debian Squeeze ppc). All fine so far, safe one point:

I don't succeed in defining the 3rd level key for the Mac keyboard (so no rectangle squares, no at-sign etc. pp.). What i did up to here:

Several times i used: dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration which effects - as i learned - /etc/default/keyboard. But all without any effect; only one option

XKBMODEL="macintosh-old"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT="mac"
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:lalt_switch,compose:rwin,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

produced the effect, that i didn't have anymore any keyboard at the login screen. All the other options, apparently, didn't have *ANY* effect.

I also tried with the Xfce plugin for the panel, without success.

Now, in Gnome all worked fine (thru Desktop and keyboard setup). Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 2011-12-07 12:47:10

farinet

Re: [Solved] 3rd level with Powerbook G4 keyboard - how?

farinet wrote:

. . . .

XKBMODEL="macintosh-old"  <- changed that to: "apple_laptop"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT="mac"
<- changed that to: " "
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:lalt_switch,compose:rwin,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

. . . .

I solved the problem, but i don't know really how and why. The indicated changes in /etc/default/keyboard at first did not have any effect. Then i de-installed the gdm3 display manager and substituted it by gdm. After a restart all was fine, the keyboard is working like expected. May be there were done some changes in the display manger's config file? I'm not a linux expert and i even don't know, where i'd have to check . . . wink

Anyway . . . smile

Last edited by farinet (2011-12-07 12:49:03)

Board footer