Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-27 15:39:06

elbipsos

[Solved] thunar video thumbnail

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to get video (e.g. for mpg files) thumbnails in Thunar. I've ticked Edit/Preferences/Show Thumbnails and I'm in Ctrl+1 view in Thunar.
I've tried unsuccessfully to delete ~/.thumbnails and ~/.cache/Thunar.
I have tumbler installed and started as /usr/lib64/tumbler-1/tumblerd.
I have ffmpegthumbnailer (v 2.0.7) installed.
I have gstreamer installed.
I have a totem.thumbnailer file in /usr/share/thumbnailers/ that looks fine as far as I can tell.
I am running xfce over Fedora15
uname -a says :
Linux Kimarche 2.6.41.1-1.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Nov 11 21:36:28 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Could anybody help ?

I can provide more info if needed

#2 2011-12-28 11:52:47

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: [Solved] thunar video thumbnail

ffmpegthumbnailer obviously only works with ffmpeg files, for gstreamer you need need additional plugins (the good, bad and ugly packages). Kill tumblerd after installation or logout/in.

#3 2011-12-28 21:02:28

elbipsos

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your support.
Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by "ffmpeg files". Does that comprise .mpg files or not ?
BTW, I'm using Thunar 1.2.3 over xfce 4.8. If I understand well, you say that it should use gstreamer for video thumbnails ?
What are the good, bad and ugly packages ?

Thank you again !

P.S. : I'm new on this forum. Is there a way to be warned by mail when one of my posts gets answered ?

#4 2011-12-28 21:22:07

elbipsos

After some search, I updated gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.29-2.fc15.x86_64 (from gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.29-1.fc15.x86_64).
I then killed tumblerd and restarted thunar but it did not solve the issue. As for the bad and ugly, yum says they are already installed and up-to-date. What is missing then ?
(Meanwhile, I've installed nautilus and it does the thumbnails. Thunar can then display the thumbnails in the directories that I visited with Nautilus but it would not make them by itself).
The thing is that I'd prefer staying with Thunar as I quite like it ...

#5 2011-12-29 06:44:35

jeromeg
Website

To use the gstreamer thumbnailer correctly, you need tumbler 0.1.23, what version do you have? 0.1.22 had a bug which prevented it from working.

Most distros don't compile the ffmpeg thumbnailer for legal reasons, it is likely that fedora does so too. According to this article (http://www.christoph-wickert.de/blog/20 … in-thunar/), it was added to RPMfusion though.

#6 2011-12-29 09:23:33

elbipsos

Hi jeromeg. Thank you for your answer.
I have tumbler 0.1.21-1. yum does not want to update it so I guess newer versions haven't been made into pacakages yet.
How do I get a newer version then ? Should I find the sources and compile them myself (scares me a little) ?

I have installed ffmpegthumbnailer but, reading you, I have the impression it is not enough, right ?
I could not find the packages of the article you pointed.

Is it normal that the only files I have in /usr/share/thumbnailers are evince.thumbnailer, totem.thumbnailer and gnome-font-viewer.thumbnailer ?
If I understand well, Thunar should be able to use these but it does not. Hown can I know if it's been compiled with support for gconf or not ?

Thank you very much for your support

#7 2011-12-29 09:50:22

jeromeg
Website

elbipsos wrote:

Hi jeromeg. Thank you for your answer.
I have tumbler 0.1.21-1. yum does not want to update it so I guess newer versions haven't been made into pacakages yet.
How do I get a newer version then ? Should I find the sources and compile them myself (scares me a little) ?

I have installed ffmpegthumbnailer but, reading you, I have the impression it is not enough, right ?
I could not find the packages of the article you pointed.

That explains why you don't have any video thumbnails, you have no video thumbnailer (no gstreamer one and the ffmpeg one is not built).

I don't use Fedora so I can't help you with this, but you should try to get help on a Fedora forum or help channel to build yourself a backport of tumbler 0.1.23.

elbipsos wrote:

Is it normal that the only files I have in /usr/share/thumbnailers are evince.thumbnailer, totem.thumbnailer and gnome-font-viewer.thumbnailer ?
If I understand well, Thunar should be able to use these but it does not. Hown can I know if it's been compiled with support for gconf or not ?

Thank you very much for your support

Those are not used by thunar, thunar uses a specification which is implemented by tumbler which stores its plugins in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/.

Cheers

#8 2011-12-29 12:10:05

elbipsos

Thank you jeromeg.

So I need to build this new version of tumbler it seems. I'll try to get help on Fedora forum as you suggested.

Just a few more questions as I'm a bit confused now :

ffmpegthumbnailer installed + a ffmpegthumbnailer.desktop file in /usr/share/thumbnailers is not enough because Thunar now uses tumbler only, right ?
Is the thunar-thumbnailers plugin out of date too ?
Is the thing about building thunar with gconf support to use gnome thumbnailers (e.g. totem.thumbnailer) possible ?

I have the feeling xfce.org's doc pages are a little out-of-date with respect to that issue. Maybe they should mention the fact that we now need tumbler.

Thank you again

#9 2011-12-29 14:52:20

jeromeg
Website

elbipsos wrote:

Thank you jeromeg.

So I need to build this new version of tumbler it seems. I'll try to get help on Fedora forum as you suggested.

Just a few more questions as I'm a bit confused now :

ffmpegthumbnailer installed + a ffmpegthumbnailer.desktop file in /usr/share/thumbnailers is not enough because Thunar now uses tumbler only, right ?
Is the thunar-thumbnailers plugin out of date too ?
Is the thing about building thunar with gconf support to use gnome thumbnailers (e.g. totem.thumbnailer) possible ?

thunar-thumbnailers package is for thunar < 1.2. With thunar >= 1.2, you will need tumbler which is far more efficient but does not yet provide as many thumbnailers (this is being worked on).

As far as I know, it is not possible anymore to compile with gconf support to use Gnome thumbnailers.

elbipsos wrote:

I have the feeling xfce.org's doc pages are a little out-of-date with respect to that issue. Maybe they should mention the fact that we now need tumbler.

Not only that, most of the documentation is totally outdated, being written for Xfce 4.2 most of the time, 4.4 sometimes.

#10 2011-12-29 19:44:12

elbipsos

All right. Everything is clearer now. Thank you for your patience.
Should I mark the topic as solved straight away or wait until I can try the solution with a more recent tumbler and provide feedback on my experiment ?

#11 2011-12-30 19:43:04

elbipsos

Problem solved !
I compiled the sources for tumbler 0.1.23 myself and the thumbnails magically apeared in Thunar. Thank you everybody for your efficient support.

Board footer