Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-17 04:42:58

Jesdisciple

Adding the System menu, a la Gnome 2

Yes, I am another "refugee" of Gnome 3, as I saw it typed in another thread.  Yesterday I finally found the time to upgrade from Ubuntu 9.10.  After trying to revert the annoying changes for a few hours, I installed xubuntu-desktop and set about reconstructing my 9.10 panels.

I managed to make Applications-Places-System, and move Applications > Settings to System > Preferences (sort of).  The Preferences menu has the System icon, and is labelled System.  And when I deleted Settings from Applications, the old System menu appeared in its place.  I also have a menu for launching various Firefox profiles where a submenu icon is misbehaving, but I imagine the same solution will apply to both problems.

I don't see any way to attach a file...?  Anyhow, here's my /home/chris/.config/menus: http://www.fileswap.com/dl/qwHxHdJVbW/menus.tar.gz.html

EDIT: I got rid of the Applications > System menu; it was still in the xfce-applications.menu file but didn't show up in the menu editor.

Last edited by Jesdisciple (2012-01-17 04:57:30)

#2 2012-01-17 07:58:06

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Adding the System menu, a la Gnome 2

Menu editors often don't understand XDG_MENU_PREFIX, therefore they try to edit the applications.menu, instead of xfce-applications.menu.

#3 2012-01-17 18:23:47

ossgrouch

Re: Adding the System menu, a la Gnome 2

Question?  If one was to change the file /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu to a symbolic link pointing to /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu, would the menu editor correctly change the applications menu for Xfce?
hmm

Board footer