Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-31 01:06:39

jimburnett
Website

Hello, finally registered here. Recovering Gnome/KDE user.

Hey everyone Jim Burnett from Virginia here. Been using XFCE for a few months now. Was a Gnome and KDE user, got sick of my computers bombing and ended up with XFCE.  XFCE is my desktop now at home and work, hopefully I can be of some assistance and contribute.

-Jim B

Linux Network Engineer, Android Geek, Author of The Linux Droid Blog.

#2 2012-01-31 01:39:13

Lightning_John

Re: Hello, finally registered here. Recovering Gnome/KDE user.

Hello Jim B

I have to say... you made the right choice.

Only because Arch-linux doesn't interact well with my new computer hardware, Xcfe is the second best OS, in my opinion.

The new Ubuntu Gnome is too much like windows now. Big and slow. KDE just doesn't have a strong enough file manager.

Other distros take a couple of weeks to work out some of the bugs.

Happy Xcf-eeing.

#3 2012-01-31 01:52:59

jimburnett
Website

KDE 4.8 is actually stable. I stopped using KDE after 3.0. All the KDE 3.x.x - 4.7 series was riddled with bugs, the API also seemed to change a ton. Not knocking KDE at all, or Gnome, but I'm a simple person and XFCE is simple!

For those that care, I'm running ArchLinux / XFCE on my Sony Vaio. (64bit).

#4 2012-01-31 04:55:31

lifeinthegrey

jimburnett wrote:

KDE 4.8 is actually stable. I stopped using KDE after 3.0. All the KDE 3.x.x - 4.7 series was riddled with bugs, the API also seemed to change a ton. Not knocking KDE at all, or Gnome, but I'm a simple person and XFCE is simple!

For those that care, I'm running ArchLinux / XFCE on my Sony Vaio. (64bit).

See I'm just about minimalism, and customization. KDE can be customized like crazy, but is REALLY bloated. GNOME 3 is somewhat more lightweight, but can't be customized at all. XFCE gives me everything that I would look for in a desktop, and is ridiculously lightweight for how full-featured it is. I can't complain too much, I started off on KDE and was a GNOME 2 user for a long time ... but XFCE is just too perfect. I even tried some of the other DEs, like LXDE and E17, and they were not even close.

oh, you want eXtremely Fast Computing? thats Easy ...

#5 2012-01-31 05:00:44

jimburnett
Website

E17? I think I remember when that was released, like 1999 or something? Or maybe that was 16, LOL. Time flys. Yeah, it's really sad to see the direction Linux desktops are taking. Hopefully the higher ups at XFCE won't cave in to bloatware like the KDE and Gnome people have. XFCE has something really good going here.

Board footer