Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-05 10:34:30

zed

can't paste to desktop

great desktop, great functionality, excellent speed, as a nerd user very happy.
i've read all postings i can find, understand why it is done the way it is, but this
is a total show-stopper when converting private and office machines to linux.
gnome3 is unusable, and kde is an devel ego trip.

is there any hope of this being addressed , or will i have to roll out lxde or fvwm1-crystal or
such to keep users from installing windows xp again? this has caused _much_ annoyance.

stefan zalewski, admin for burren.org , several hundred users and a bunch of offices.

#2 2012-03-05 12:05:44

secipolla

Re: can't paste to desktop

Maybe the issue is that the desktop is managed by a different application than Thunar.
Now that you said, it looks weird that it shows the 'Paste' entry in the right-click menu but it's grayed out.
You can still drag-n-drop to it and, unlike between two Thunar windows, it will just copy instead of move (unless you press 'Shift' at the same time).
Of course, if you're using copy→paste or ctrl+c→ctrl+v then you can do it with the ~/Desktop open in a Thunar window.

#3 2012-03-05 12:10:09

Nick
Dev
Website

Paste to desktop a show stopper is a bit dramatized. Anyway, in 4.10 this will be fixed.

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3804

#4 2012-03-06 20:47:21

zed

hi all,  your answers are much  appreciated , and i wholly agree that it's _dramatized_ !  Just consider that most users have troubles using a mouse or remember their password(s) - and i agree that i bring those troubles upon myself by pandering to the ignorant ... but hey, anything to keep them away from the evil empire, thus keeping the network clean.  almost all user i install for  and look after use debian, with xfce4 added to the default install.  one small 'problem' multiplied by 200 starts to eat into the timetable.   again, thank you all for such a nice desktop and functionality, i glady hang in there for 4.10 

zed!   

ps  'shift'  while moving - that'll the the pain out of it for now

Board footer