Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-06 08:26:57

andna

Fresh Xfce installation not working properly

Hello

1. I decided to try xfce, I am using openSUSE linux, so I downloaded 12.1 from official site, during installation I choose xfce to be my desktop. Installation went smoothly, so when I first booted up the system I got prompt about 3 important updates, I installed them. After those updates I got prompt that there are 107 updates from which 106 are important. So I decided to install them, but when 30 min passed and nothing changed I started to wonder that the process of update froze (I usually download things with 500-600 kB/s speed). After a while I decided to try and close update manager. But when I rebooted the system it wouldn't start. So now I reinstalled whole system once again and I am in this spot where I can install those updates. I am now wondering how much time it should take to install those updates, and if there is somewhere a place where I can manually start the update menager (if those updates would be available to install from yast it would be even better)?

2. This is a bit different problem, all the time after installation I am encountering one strange behaviour. My linux with xfce has hiccup, every 3-5 minutes or so system freezes for about 1 second, maybe less. I have pentium dual core t4500, 3gb of ram and intel integrated graphics card(gma 4500). Earlier I used kde (it wasn't very fast but I could work with it), but I decided to try xfce for light desktop. This hiccup didn't occur under KDE so I thing this is some issue with xfce.

#2 2012-03-06 09:37:55

secipolla

Re: Fresh Xfce installation not working properly

Your problems are almost certainly not Xfce related. You should ask for help at http://forums.opensuse.org/

#3 2012-03-06 09:43:15

angstrom

Re: Fresh Xfce installation not working properly

1: about update manager, it's more OpenSuse issue than Xfce. Maybe you can disable update manager in Settings Manager > Session & Startup > application autostart.
And, the log of yast is in /var/log/Yast2

2: The hiccup may be come from Disk spindown feature. When the hard drive sleep, it's take 2/3s to wake up. You may not have disk sleep in KDE because some application/service don't let the disk go in sleep mode. Try to disable manually the disk spin down option with hdparm (be very careful with hdparm. It can permanently damage your disk) :

hdparm -B 254

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

Board footer