Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-07 11:30:27

scum74

Default menu not working in kiosk mode (XFCE-4.6.2)

Hi Forum,

we recently had to upgrade our x11-Server to Debian Squeeze, cause of some weird problems with gtk on the old CentOS-Installation. Now, I've setup a fresh Debian Squeeze and installed XFCE 4.6.2 with all the necessary components. My goal now is to set ONE default desktop for all users. I've configured the /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu file to my needs and the menu looked fine when I added my user to the kioskrc-File. However, when I log in as another user, the only thing I see on the panel is a tile for creating a new entry. I've already deleted all the .cache, .config and .local folders in the users home directory, in order to make this user fall back to the default configuration in /etc/xdg/menus, but it won't work. It's driving me insane, since I'm working on this single problem for like 2 days straight now. The kiosk-documentation isn't worth a penny, since it doesn't even tell me WHERE to configure the default desktop for all the users. What am I missing here ? Is this probably a bug in 4.6.2 ? I can't update to 4.8 (not that I wanted to), since this is going to be a production system. Any help is much appreciated.

Best and thanks in advance,
Daniel

#2 2012-03-07 13:07:31

scum74

Re: Default menu not working in kiosk mode (XFCE-4.6.2)

I finally figured it out, thanks to another post in this forum. I've logged in as the user which I defined in kioskrc.  Then I configured the PANEL (added the applications menu and some more elements). After that I logged out and copied the content of the folder ~/.config/xfce/panel/ to /etc/xdg/xfce4/panel. Now when I log in as another user, I'll get the same panel. Pure madness for hours and hours.

Cheerz,
Daniel

#3 2012-03-07 13:08:56

Nick
Dev
Website

4.8 is by far most stable then 4.6. What do you mean by "tile for creating a new entry"?

#4 2012-03-07 13:46:28

scum74

Hey Nick,

by 'tile' I meant this tile-looking icon (yellow rhomb) which stands for 'Creating a new item'
And no, I'm not a Lotus-Notes user since their whole lifes are structured in 'tiles' ;-)
I can't use 4.8 since there is no backport yet and I don't want to use the testing (Wheezy)
packages in a production environment. As soon as there will be a backport, I might think
about upgrading. I fixed the problem on my own, as described above; thanks to this posting:
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=2789

The user 'gras' pretty much explains how to configure the panel and make it available for
all the other users.

Anyways, thanks for responding !

Best,
Daniel

Board footer