Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-20 01:54:27

sk8harddiefast

Xfce4. Things that could make xfce4 just amazing!

Hi. I am noob on forum. This is my first post. I am using xfce4 and I really love it. I can't run any other DE except this.
I love his philosophy and everything on this DE. But there are some "small" things that could make xfce4 even better.
1) Option to put my desktop icons wherever I want.
2) I can't imagine a DE that I can't move multiple files on my desktop and I must move them one by one. We are on 2012!
3) Rename could be easier (double click for example).
4) Something must be done with menu configuration. We can't go to /usr/local/share/applications/ (BSD user) and create files of programs for menu and after that on /usr/local/share/pixmaps to drop there icons. Is just pain if you try to create a hole menu with 40 applications. Or move applications to the right section of menu. Something with Gui could make this, easier and faster. This is something that I really want to see!!! Always was the worst part of my DE configuration.
5) I would say about a tool to "easy" icons and themes install but this is a project for xfce4.10 so no problem about that.
Hmmmm. This 5. All the others are perfect smile I can't ask more from xfce4. Only this 5 big_smile
PS. I love xfce4. I don't post to judge. I post to recommend.
Friendly. George.

#2 2012-03-20 16:54:54

eric_the_idiot

Re: Xfce4. Things that could make xfce4 just amazing!

sk8harddiefast,
  Since I've written a couple patches for xfdesktop I'll comment on it.
1) It would require a re-write of the icon grid layout. It's something I personally haven't looked at yet.
2) Will be fixed in 4.10 and some distros have ported it to their 4.8 packages, so you may see it sooner.
3) Rename on the desktop? If Thunar is installed (and support was compiled into xfdesktop) it will be available on the right click menu (even if you don't use Thunar as your file manager).

Board footer