Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-25 03:01:40

rhansen
Website

Workspace switcher loses desktops

Hello all,

I've had an issue with the Workspace Switcher utility on my XFCE Panel. I usually have my number of workspaces set to 3, but the switcher occasionally 'loses' one of the workspaces. If I do nothing, the number can drop to one. If I have windows open in all workspaces when the number decreases, the windows in the lost workspace (I assume it's the last, usually third workspace) are moved to next highest workspace number (when two remain, the second). The workspaces remain missing until I reset it using the Workspace Switcher Preferences dialog--neither logging out and back in, nor restarting the computer have any effect.

This has been more a nuisance than a problem, but any help resolving this is definitely appreciated. I'm mostly curious both in the cause and why I haven't been able to find any related forum topics. Thanks in advance!

#2 2012-03-26 23:51:54

rhansen
Website

Re: Workspace switcher loses desktops

I'm using XFCE 4.8 on Ubuntu 11.10. I don't know what logs might be helpful--if anyone has an idea I'll copy the outputs here.

#3 2012-03-27 11:44:48

angstrom

Try to clean the folder ~/.cache
Try to create an empty account see if you have also this behavior ?

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#4 2012-05-09 23:05:03

Rafael van Horn

I have very similar problem. I have set the desktop switcher to have 4 desktops as I am used to.
The switcher sometimes reset it to 5. When I try to set it back to desired 4, it deletes all the desktops and it sets 1.
I haven't found out WHEN IT HAPPENS, so I can't tell you how to replicate this bug. BUT... I think that XFCE generally forgets its settings and resets them to some default values. For example the keyboard layout switcher plugin, which always forgets the set keyboard shortcut after reboot. Things like that happen to me often with Xfce...

I have Xfce 4.8 and Ubuntu 11.10.

Thanks for some advice.

#5 2012-05-31 23:36:09

daggoth

rhansen wrote:

but the switcher occasionally 'loses' one of the workspaces. If I do nothing, the number can drop to one.

I had this problem once too... mostly due to the dreaded fat-fingered syndrome! The xfce window manager has some extra keybindings/hotkeys, some of which can add or delete a workspace. And my keyboard-mashing had inadvertantly pressed that annoying key-combo...

Fat-fingered syndrome can be contagious. So thusly, if you have this problem, then that pesky "delete workspace" key-combo can be removed by going to Settings-->Window_Manager-->Keyboard.
---------------------
Xfce_4.8, Debian_testing

Last edited by daggoth (2012-05-31 23:42:58)

Board footer