Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-27 08:09:09

boucher06

[Solved] Conky "refresh overlay".

I have conky running on my desktop on startup with a transparent background.

For a short time this worked with no problems but now I'm getting this weird "overlay" effect that almost looks like I have two sessions of conky running at the same time (one on top of the other) where one is slightly behind the other. The result is two sets of numbers, one superimposed on top of the other, and the same with the % bar, making both very difficult to read.

I would like to stress that this IS NOT the conky flicker that is described in many of the conky error posts, I have turned the double buffer both ON and OFF in order to see what this looks like, or whether this would help the situation, but this is not the issue.

The only way I can fix the error thus far is to run

$ killall conky 

and then "conky" to restart it. This however defeats the purpose of having it run automatically on startup (having to shut it off and start it up again).

This lends me the suspicion that something may be happening during the autorun at startup, but I can't think what. Is it possible that two instances of conky are in fact starting when I turn on my computer, how might I check for this??

I was fairly confident that I had setup the autorun at startup correctly, as it was working just find for a few days.

This is how I left the settings in .conkyrc when I finally got the transparency working (mostly copied from other users online). 

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_argb_value 200
own_window_type desktop
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

#2 2012-04-27 11:01:26

angstrom

Re: [Solved] Conky "refresh overlay".

Try cleaning ~/.cache/sessions
Make sure, in Session and Startup settings, you don't have conky in Application Autostart AND Session tabs

Edit: to check if there is really two conky runniong, you can run this command :
ps aux | grep conky

Last edited by angstrom (2012-04-27 11:03:44)

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2012-04-27 14:00:13

boucher06

Re: [Solved] Conky "refresh overlay".

Thank you, I think it was in fact starting up multiple sessions of conky that were then appearing one on top of another.

I simply removed conky from the startup applications and this seems to have done the trick. Back to normal, thank you.

Board footer