Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-21 17:53:46

Worrier.Poet

[Solved] What's the simplest way to use OpenVPN in the Xfce Desktop Environment

Hi,

I've got to start connecting to a client's VPN (Cisco AnyConnect). I used to use OpenVPN under Gnome with Network-Manager for this.

When I switched to Xfce I was delighted with the Wicd network manager, as -- at least at that time -- Network-Manager wasn't all that and a bag of chips for use on a laptop that had to move around amongs various fixed IP / DHCP / wired / wireless networks. But Wicd doesn't support use of a VPN.

What's the smart (as in smart-easy, not smart-god-what-a-geek-you-must-be)  way to go about this? I really love my Xfce desktop. I don't want to screw it up, but I do need to be able to use the VPN.

Suggestions? Is it just a matter of installing network-manager-openvpn-gnome and its dependencies and removing Wicd? Am I going to do something hurtful to my Xfce?

Thanks,
the worrier

#2 2012-06-26 18:53:12

Worrier.Poet

Re: [Solved] What's the simplest way to use OpenVPN in the Xfce Desktop Environment

Okay, so I lived up to my own name -- I worried too much.

Yeah, it was just that easy. Replace Wicd with network-manager-gnome and the appropriate plugins. Doesn't appear to have done anything harmful to my beloved Xfce, but it sure dig drag in a bunch of stuff.

I tender my apology for the noise.

Board footer