Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-14 20:29:54

TiberiusT

[Solved] Panel config files are where?

Not sure if I shud be posting this here. Maybe it shud go to ubuntuforums?

Anyway. I’ve taken some time making custom panels as part of a basic custom distro of Xubuntu 12.10 x64 - nothing serious overall - just cosmetics, apps/theme/font/bgrounds/menus/workspaces/panels. Owise it’s stock issue Canonical. XFCE is abs awesome for customising (seen Voyager Linux?). Having had issues with both ReLinux and Remastersys I decided to redistribute my customised edition by copying config files - which works very well with XCFE 4.10 . EXCEPT: Where are the panel configs stored??? The panels remain stubbornly stuck on default - my works of art refuse to appear!  All other settings seem to move across quite happily. I have so far:

- obv copied the entire /home/user/.config directory
- copied /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4/panel (I use xubuntu session) and /etc/xdg/xfce4/panel
- copied the known correct .xml files everywhere I can think of
- made sure all the files have the correct permissions/owners

I’m stuck sad and would be most grateful for some explanation of where ‘what actually appears on the desktop’... ‘actually comes from’ bcos there’s a few symlinks flying around to throw me off the scent. I seem to be caught in some sort of ‘catch me if u can' game with the panel configs and I’ve run out of steam...

Tks anyone.

T

#2 2012-12-17 07:30:54

TiberiusT

Re: [Solved] Panel config files are where?

OK. I found it. It seems that when yu copy  /home/user/.config/xfce4 then everything is in fact copied BUT this file is somehow dynamically recreated with default settings.

/home/tiberiust/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

And that's where my panel configs were. I deleted that file for each new user, copied across the known working one, set permissions for the new user, logout, login, and there are my custom panels.

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug, since copying .config/xfce4 seems to be an accepted way of copying user settings from one install/user to another. It's surprising that panels are not copied since abs everything else is. Anyway, I'm sorted smile

T

Board footer