Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-23 16:07:22

hpp3

[Solved] Cannot logout or login; Session manager requires different library.

Xfce 4.8.0.3
Debian Testing "Wheezy" 64-bit

Apparently this happened just recently, hopefully it's not a Debian bug; when I click the logout icon in my panel, the logout/shutdown dialog does not show.  I ran xfce4-session-logout and xfce4-session-settings from terminal and this is the error:

xfce4-session-logout: error while loading shared libraries: libxfce4util.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I rebooted (sudo reboot) and lightdm wouldn't let me login.  I suspected it had something to do with the Session Manager suddenly needing this other library.  I have libxfce4util.so.6 from a (more or less) failed Xfce 4.10 compilation attempt, and copied that to /usr/lib just to see what it would do.  Now I can logout with the button and login, but now the icons and window colors are the default (for Debian Wheezy) and I cannot change them with the "Appearance" widget.  Cleared ~/.cache/sessions and logout/login, same thing.  I did everything I could think of, re-installed xfce4-session, dpkg-reconfigure, everything.  I took out the libxfce4util.so.6 and made it a link to libxfce4util.so.4.1.1 but then I can't log in and running 'startxfce4' from a TTY, X tries to start up and exits with this code:

xfce4-session: symbol lookup error: xfce4-session: undefined symbol: xfsm_window_grab_input

What the heck is going on?

#2 2013-03-01 05:01:57

hpp3

Re: [Solved] Cannot logout or login; Session manager requires different library.

A little more info:  Apparently, it's libxfsm that is complaining.  I did:

hpp3@box:~$ ld /usr/bin/xfce4-session
ld: warning: libxfce4util.so.6, needed by /usr/local/lib/libxfsm-4.6.so.0, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address
/usr/bin/xfce4-session: undefined reference to `xfsm_window_grab_input'

I've reinstalled all the Xfce packages, and still this happens.  Maybe I'll ask on the Debian forums and see what they say.

#3 2013-03-17 03:30:42

hpp3

Re: [Solved] Cannot logout or login; Session manager requires different library.

So libxfsm was being called from /usr/local/lib, not /usr/lib, so I rm'd /usr/local/lib/libxfsm*.  'ld /usr/bin/xfce4-session' gave:
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address.
Logged out and back in, and everything was back to normal. :shrug:

Last edited by hpp3 (2013-03-17 03:49:41)

Board footer